Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liver of sulphur

Default Liver of sulphur

I'm making copper cuff links, they are enamelled on both sides but I would like the edge of the copper to be blackened.
    Does liver of sulphur go really black, will it wear off?

Yes it can go really black but yes it will wear off in exposed areas.
    It is mostly used for highlighting raised areas by darkening in the grooves where it is protected from wear.

Thank you, I thought as much!

What do people use on those lovely silver pieces that are oxidised black all over? Does that wear in time?

Sorry for all the questions - I do have a few books but I can search endlessly sometimes!

Yes, high spots become highlights. It's the antique effect.

If you're using it on rings it will wear off in the first week if it's a totally smooth ring and being worn everyday. The wearer will have the upkeep of re-dipping in the sulphur. However, you can use a clear coat product such as Protectaclear. I used to use that on my copper pieces and it worked really well if you did two coats. That being said, it basically gives it a plastic coating which may not be to everyone's taste.

Here is an example...these enamelled earrings with oxidised silver hoops....
    (Obviously not my work) I hope I'm allowed to post links?
    http://www.lovedazzle.com/shop/Earri...am-series.aspx

It says oxidised silver so I can only assume that she has used LOS and coated it as described above.
    Not something I would do personally as I can't imagine it lasts awfully well.

Thanks, i thought it would wear but when I saw those earrings I really liked the dark black...I don't fancy adding something over the top either. I think perhap I'll have to practice more bezel settings and set my copper pieces in those. Everything is such a long learning curve.

Enamelled copper works well but I don't like the copper edge - I'm not good enough to enamel on silver yet!

The oxidisation probably lasts well in earrings as there is no wear. I've produced oxidised pieces that are still going strong a long time after but it depends on the item. Cufflinks will rub on everything.