Thread: Another ring

Default Another ring

I have been asked i to make a ring, or at least four rings fixed at the back and slightly apart at the front with four c.z's randomly across the four rings. I have made four rings and soldered them together at the back, but when I bend the silver "d" wire slightly apart the solder splits. I have done this several times now and don't want to be beaten by it. I made the rings and soldered together afterwards, would it be worth cutting the d wire and soldering before bending into ring shape. The one the customer saw was cast.
    Last edited by Patstone; 02-11-2017 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    I have been asked i to make a ring, or at least four rings fixed at the back and slightly apart at the front with four c.z's randomly across the four rings. I have made four rings and soldered them together at the back, but when I bend the silver "d" wire slightly apart the solder splits. I have done this several times now and don't want to be beaten by it. I made the rings and soldered together afterwards, would it be worth cutting the d wire and soldering before bending into ring shape. The one the customer saw was cast.
    Maybe post a photo or 2 might help with solving your problem.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Regards,

Peter

Pat - I cant visualise exactly what you're trying to do, but when I made a two-shank ring with a gap for a cabochon between the two, I made the rings first (from round wire), rounded them and then where I wanted the rings to meet at the back I filed an angle onto both edges to be soldered so that when they came together the two rings naturally formed a "V" shape. I hope that makes sense.

With four rings, it sounds very fiddly, but I'd probably approach it the same way.

Good luck!

When I construct rings with multiple bands that are spaced apart I solder them in the open position rather than prizing apart after soldering

Yes it's better to solder them with the fronts already separated as they've all said and with slight flats filed so that the edges to be soldred are not just knife shapes.

It also helps to find a way to support the fronts, in case they gradually become uneven.

My picture does not show your ring exactly, but it does show a retaining strip at the front. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ts1 Turquoise Ring.jpg  

The photo won't download. Can't show you but the one that Dennis put in is similar. Think it may be a good idea to solder the straight bits of silver first, then bend it into ring shape.

Decided to abandon the other one and start again. Soldered the back bits open and joined the ends at the front. It seems to have worked, all I have to do now is set stones. Thanks all for your input. Pat

Well done Pat and I hope your success is therapeutic. Dennis.

Good to hear you conquered to problem, there is always more than one way to skin a cat