Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a good join

Default Getting a good join

Morning all. Can anyone tell me if there is a formula or technique to do this. I’m not too bad with thinner wire for rings but if I want to use a heavier gauge I really struggle. I saw and file as straight as possible and I’ve tried by using a gadget to form the circle and obviously the inner edge meets before the outer edge. I’ve also tried making a ‘D’ shape but still struggle with the join. I was told just file it to make it meet but the gap appears in a different place.
    Hope someone can help. Thanks

Hi Kellz. Have you tried using a longer length than you need, form it round your mandrel to size required, with the two ends overlapping, then use a marker and make a straight line over both, then saw along you marked line. Ends should be lined up with only minor amount of filing necessary. Hope that helps.

Are you sawing the two ends at the same time? Cut your length slightly bigger than required, shape with some excess on either side and saw through the two ends at the same time. There shouldn't be any need to file then.

I see Emma pipped me at the post!

Sawing and filing can be counter productive, because every mm you lose doing that can reduce your ring by one size.

It will be best to anneal the wire after bending, but before cutting, so that the wire is soft and the ends are clean. Hardened wire tends to open up when heated

If you still find that one edge meets before the other, all you need to do is bend the ring slightly out of shape until the surfaces match.

You can easily true it up again after soldering. Dennis.

I bend the ends past each other as already mentioned, making that edge as horizontal as I can before cutting through the 2 pieces together.
    Then tap them so they are tight together with inside and outside flush.
    Flux well ,sit the flat side down on the soldering block held in a pair of tweezers, place a small fluxed solder pallion directly over the join ( or more than one depending how wide the ring is) then heat the whole ring finishing by heating underneath the join to make the solder flow through.

Thanks for all the info. Tried twice this afternoon but not good. The first wire was 6mmx1.7mm and I had trouble keeping it together to saw through after overlapping. The second wire was D shaped and seemed to twist out of shape. Anyway both pieces have been annealed and left in the pickle until I can face having another go. I will see if I can find a video which shows exactly where I’m going wrong.

I tried this as I've really struggled in the past and it really does work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaU5acww9gc

Thanks. I’ve just watched this and tried it. It was better but I tried it with a piece of wire which had already been used so it wasn’t perfect. I’m going to have a go tomorrow with a new piece of wire.

Had another go this morning with D shaped wire 3mmx1.6mm. Overlapped it like doing a jump ring and sawed through both together. I annealed after cutting (forgot to it before) but did not file and achieved 98% success. Will practice more. If I use a 6mmx2mm wire do I use the same ‘jump ring’ technique?
    Thanks