Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not On The High Street Sales

It's been well worth it for me but I know some people have been disappointed. I think there's far too much jewellery on there now.

When I enquired earlier this year there was a one off £650 joining fee then 23% commission on each item sold or £500 then 27% commission.

They blew me out on the grounds that my jewellery was similar to others they stocked - I felt quite relieved when I realised what the fees would be and saved me a difficult decision.
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com

Default Got some Info

I have been talking about this on another forum and so far this is the info:

I have a shop on NOTHS, have done since April. You have to submit your products, they then either accept or decline you! You then, if chosen, have to pay circa £400-£500 to join and then they take a commission on everything you sell.
    and I think the commission is 20% for items sold.

So I guess it's not too bad if you get the sales in?

The £400/500 is a one off payment. You'd soon get your money back though if you were successful. As I said, your products need to be different enough to stand out from everyone else's. I think I do well cos there's no other hand made enamel stuff on there.

I suppose it's a large outlay compared to something like Etsy, but then it's a very different type of store to Etsy. And if you are going into business, £500 isn't that much of an investment really. It's one of the sites I have been thinking about for the future, but like Carole says, I have concerns about the amount of jewellery already on there. Also the commission doesn't seem that outrageous to me, if wholesale prices are generally double retail, then it's about half your wholesale discount, so somewhere between the two. True, you aren't selling in Wholesale quantities, but then someone is doing the bulk of the hard work with the website for you.
    Lucinda

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Hi

Not On The High Street looks like a great place to try and sell crafts, plus I done a little traffic check and they seem to bring in plenty of traffic.

I was wondering if anyone here sells through them or any other online shopping site, I really want to know what sort of comission they take if you make a sale?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!
    I sent in some very original designs to "Not on the High Street" which have sold well for me at craft fairs and exhibitions. They rejected me!!

Never mind....I'll just keep going with the local sales!

Christine
    Daisy Lee jewellery

It did feel like a big gamble for me when I joined last February but I rationalised that the joining fee was the equivalent of the stall fees of about 6-7 shows - and that's without costing in my travel and other expenses, my time at and before the shows etc. It has been worth it for me (I was in profit in less than 6 months), but you do need to make sure that your photos are excellent and that your products are different enough. I do change my products - new season's designs, I suppose, whilst keeping my best sellers, and that helps. Their marketing is excellent.
    Jo
    Daisychain Jewellery - Handcrafted sterling silver jewellery and jewellery tuition
    www.daisychainjewellery.co.uk
    www.daisychaindesignsjewellery.blogspot.com

I'm very interested to read this thread. I remember they emailed me when they were starting but the initial cost put me off.

I've since wondered whether I made the right decision, they do seem to be doing really well and I'm interested to hear that some of you have found it very successful.

Default It can work

My sister in law is on Not on the high steet, I reiterate everything that others have said here, but in her experience she find things that work are :

- Personalised pieces e.g. names, finger prints, dates etc
    - Anything to do with children ie.names, milestones etc.
    - Plus anything that guarantees exclusivitiy or a limited run.

Hope this helps.

I'd say that NOTHS is probably saturated with jewellery now and I wouldn't recommend anyone to join at this stage.