Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting a mirror finish with pendant motor?

Thanks Sarah, Dennis and Handmadeblanks back in the day Edinburgh taught us skills nd finish was key. I have a light box of sorts now Dennis but sometimes I miss the reflections and just use daylight!

So, I'm figuring that if I want to take my polishing to the next level and achieve a quality mirror finish I need to invest in a bench polisher and practice, practice & practice!

Any opinions on this model from Foredom? Foredom-polishing-machine

It fits my workspace but is it suitable?

It's what I've got, although it lives on a top shelf because I rarely do much polishing.

It's a good little motor for small jewellery, with variable speeds and the option of a grind stone arbour on the left side, for setting up scorpers and general grinding.

However it is a bit low if you have a large cuff to do, so you might have to raise it on a platform for that, or go for a bigger machine.

Dont forget the need for a basic hood to catch dust and spray from your componds, or your place will be a mess.
    Last edited by Dennis; 26-11-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Check out this companies polishing bench motors, they sell this kit for a reasonable price; https://www.metalpolishingsupplies.c...polishing-kit/

That's a good price as I think I paid £80 for my first 1/2hp bench motor from Coopers in 1979! There is the dust problem though as you go up in size and it depends on where you are working.

I'm searching around trying to learn and I'm such a newb I didn't know what a pendant motor was! It's one of those hanging up foot controlled drill type things! Now I DO know so THANKS! And thanks for the bench motor link too. I have polishing needs and not much skill... it's hard!

Quote Originally Posted by moif View Post
    I'm searching around trying to learn and I'm such a newb I didn't know what a pendant motor was! It's one of those hanging up foot controlled drill type things! Now I DO know so THANKS! And thanks for the bench motor link too. I have polishing needs and not much skill... it's hard!
    The truth is that a mirror finish shows up all the defects of a piece and yet that is what beginners most yearn for.
    A lesser finish, just using a wet and soapy brass brush will complement a less exacting technique and be more forgiving in cases of firescale, excess solder, or general lack of precision.

Many of my pieces are finished like that, although they would not win a place in a high street shop window. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis good to know that!