Thread: Making a chain from 4mm jump rings?

Default Making a chain from 4mm jump rings?

My daughter asked me to remodel a snitch braclet she bought recently into a chain. We looked at pre-made ones and she didn't like them so has asked me if I could make a suitable one out of silver jump rings. After ordering sizes 3 - 5 mm ones we decided on 4mm would suit as I think 3mm is just too small compared to the snitch which I'll have to remake part of as it really is a bit of a dogs breakfast. Can use the basics of it though.

So my question is, what is the best way too do the chain?

Should I make a few rows of jumprings side by side on a charcoal soldering block and solder them individually, and then make up a series of 3's, then solder them together to get each side length the same, then put the findings on to complete leaving one jump ring unsupervised for protection. I read here recently that was a good idea with chains and braclets? I'll also be including a Tag with 925 stamped on it as well, haven't quite discussed the clasp as yet but am thinking a medium parrot one. I have 300 x 4mm silver jumprings.

Any suggestions and advice appreciated, just don't suggest buying a ready made one and cutting that one. I would really like to attempt to do this. I have the tools, going to use just a small portable touch like a cream brule type. I have an Arctorch similar to a Little Smith Touch but don't have an oxygen tank at present and won't be getting one soon. We have been given an eviction notice from the place we are renting so will need to wait in case I need to put my jewellery making tools into storage, don't want an oxygen bottle nearly full. I think there are limitations to storing things like lpg and oxygen bottles.

Thanks for replies.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Regards,

Peter

Aim at about 16", or 40cm for a normal short chain.

Peole have different ways of making it. But first of all work closely over a large soldering board, because let go accidentally, chains have a life of their own and will slither away onto the floor.

Next if all links in a group are prefluxed you do not need to pickle frequently, but just go on working.You can make short sections at a time and join them later.They can be cooled rapidly just by placing on a large steel block.

If using pallions, single jump rings are most reliably closed lying on the board with the solder under the join, so that it cant escape.

Then for connecting, I prefer to hold up the connecting jump ring with small self closing tweezers and with the part to be soldered at the top.

Lastly, chains with jump rings all one size can be quite boring, so you might consider at least two sizes, for instance three or five the same and then one bigger. Also, oval links can break up the monotony, so the bigger ones could be stretched to oval by opening small round nosed pliers inside them. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Aim at about 16", or 40cm for a normal short chain.

Peole have different ways of making it. But first of all work closely over a large soldering board, because let go accidentally, chains have a life of their own and will slither away onto the floor.

Next if all links in a group are prefluxed you do not need to pickle frequently, but just go on working.You can make short sections at a time and join them later.They can be cooled rapidly just by placing on a large steel block.

If using pallions, single jump rings are most reliably closed lying on the board with the solder under the join, so that it cant escape.

Then for connecting, I prefer to hold up the connecting jump ring with small self closing tweezers and with the part to be soldered at the top.

Lastly, chains with jump rings all one size can be quite boring, so you might consider at least two sizes, for instance three or five the same and then one bigger. Also, oval links can break up the monotony, so the bigger ones could be stretched to oval by opening small round nosed pliers inside them. Dennis
    Thanks Dennis I'll run this advice by my daughter. You have described the soldering how I thought I should be doing it. I like your idea of breaking up the link sizes every so often. I did try and suggest a chain along those lines to her too.

Regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,
    I have just done a few days of chain making (my eyes, my eeeeeeyes), and find the solder paste really useful for this as you can use the weeniest bit and it doesn't slide off when the chain moves (I swear it becomes animated at times). It's quite a nice zen process if you're in the mood. I have on occassion gone almost into a trance and ended up making half a foot too much. I use my tiniest hand torch for chain, and tend to lift the links with tweezers to solder, but obviously this only works with the paste.
    Good luck! I'd love to see it - my two smalls have recently got (late in the game) into Harry Potter. Although my son presented me with a ring design 'we could make for him' that was a gold 3 finger ring with black diamonds and a ruby. Subtle it was not. We're currently 'managing expectations'.

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    Hi Peter,
    I have just done a few days of chain making (my eyes, my eeeeeeyes), and find the solder paste really useful for this as you can use the weeniest bit and it doesn't slide off when the chain moves (I swear it becomes animated at times). It's quite a nice zen process if you're in the mood. I have on occassion gone almost into a trance and ended up making half a foot too much. I use my tiniest hand torch for chain, and tend to lift the links with tweezers to solder, but obviously this only works with the paste.
    Good luck! I'd love to see it - my two smalls have recently got (late in the game) into Harry Potter. Although my son presented me with a ring design 'we could make for him' that was a gold 3 finger ring with black diamonds and a ruby. Subtle it was not. We're currently 'managing expectations'.
    Hi Lydia,

Know that reeking well. And it doesn't get any better as thru get older. Mine are 22 and nearly 25 both girls. Youngest has been the most difficult over the years. Not sure when I am going to do this as after my post we received an eviction notice. So have to devote time to that and packing. I was going to use the paste as I have one in the fridge that I purchased during my acquisitions over time. When I make it I'll post some photos as weĺ, in case I have done something wrong and need to fix something. I discussed Dennis' idea but she just wants the one size jumprings. Will wait until it's done to see if she changes her mind at all. I could always include some smaller rings in occasionally unsoldered to just see how it looks for examples to her, she might change her mind. Thanks for the advice.

Regards,

Peter

Good luck Peter, hope moving is as stress free as it is possible to be.