Thread: Another Hello From Aberdeenshire

Thumbs up Another Hello From Aberdeenshire

Hi all!

My name is Sam and I’ve visited this forum a few times for information a few times since starting to make and sell jewellery about 18 months ago. I figured it was about time I popped in to say hello properly!

I work mostly with Damascus steel and gold however I’m trying to broaden my range at the moment. I’ve also had a bit of a play with Titanium to line Damascus rings with – still getting to grips with that though! I do this as more of a hobby in my spare time around a regular 9-5 job so getting time to experiment can be a challenge!

I’m sure that there will be a lot for me to learn from this forum and I look forwards to participating in discussions here!

Sam

Hi Sam, welcome.
    I'm in Fife and know nothing about Damascus Steel or titanium so you may be teaching some of us something

Hi Caroline,

Thank you! I don't know about that but I'll try to help out where I can! Damascus really is fascinating stuff to work with. These days it is made by forge welding different grades of steel in alternating layers before it is twisted, folded and otherwise formed to give the steel interesting patterns which are revealed upon chemically etching the surface of the finished piece. I did have a go at making my own once but stopped at 8 layers - far short of the 150 I was aiming for! Hats off to those who have the time, skill & patience to make their own!

Peter is possibly the man to speak to about all this

I have a friend who makes Damascus, titanium and steel rings he makes them on a metal lathe.

I do the bulk of my work on a metal lathe. I am hoping though to learn some of the more traditional techniques to combine the two styles!