Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ear wire thickness?

Thank you very much More money spent....I need to stop...I got my Foredom drill this month too, need to practice flush setting at home . I need get my work area sorted so I can hang up the drill. I'm slowly overtaking the kids play room.

Another ear wire question since i'm about to order materials for a new project. I'm intending to make simple 0.9mm sterling silver wires similar to to picture below, would you recommend using half-hard or hard wire?
    Fairly simple design without lots of curly/wrapped features so should be minimal bending required. I also have a barrel polisher now so they could get a bit of a tumble to burnish/harden if that makes any difference to recommendations.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ear wires.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	11077

thanks
    Hazel

I would go for hard wire, so that they keep in shape. You will also be hammering flats, which helps. Tumbling is of no significant value for hardening. Dennis.

Thanks, wasn't sure whether tumbling would have more effect on wire than other items, it being quite thin.
    Hazel

I use .8 as my friend complained that she couldn’t get .9 through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I ended up buying 0.8mm because when I looked the suppliers were doing that a lot more than the .9
    Hazel