Thread: can you flush set a stone without drilling all the way through the metal?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default can you flush set a stone without drilling all the way through the metal?

Hello

I have been having ideas of flush setting stones into a silver cuff i made, looking at various ways to flush/ gypsy/ burnish set stones into metal on youtube and they all drill a hole through the metal. Aesthetically this is something i would like to avoid on the cuff i want to use if possible.

My silver cuff is 4mm x 4mm square thickness and i want to flush set 5 x 2mm black diamonds spread out along the cuff however i don't want to have drilled holes visible on the inside of the cuff. As the stones are opaque there is no need for the holes to let light in from the under side which i am guessing is why you drill through.

So before i start practicing on zircons and brass metal and building up my skills my question is do you need to drill right through to technically make the stone better stay in place, or is it just a question of light getting into the stone that everyone seems to drill the hole right through?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks!!

alton

I don't know the technically correct answer but yes you can, I sometimes do this.
    The only downside that I am aware of is that if the stone doesn't go in straight it can be impossible to get it out.

Usually the hole allows cleaning of the stone from behind
    Last edited by josef1; 22-10-2017 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    Usually the hole allows cleaning of the stone from behind
    And poking it out if you don't get it in level first try...
    A lot of the flush setting I do involves not having a through-hole.

I've never really understood the light from the back bit with gypsy setting.
    By the time someone has rammed it on their podgy finger nothing is getting round the sides and in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by trialuser View Post
    By the time someone has rammed it on their podgy finger nothing is getting round the sides and in the back.
    Except gunge.
    *So* much gunge...