Thread: Twig ring with tourmaline

Default Twig ring with tourmaline

I always think you can't beat nature so I cast this directly from a dead twig from one of our olive trees here in Portugal.
    This is from some scrap yellow gold that I had , I did try and cast it in white but didn't have quite enough to get it to cast as it seems to need a fair amount extra to cope with it not going quite as pourable as the yellow.
    I have a kiln that reaches 1100 C so its a bit border line for white.
    Anyhow it casts easy enough in silver and yellow just using my Delft clay system.
    I then found this teal Tourmaline that I impulse bought over a year ago and set that between in a bezel which Ive left with a hammer finish.
    It does weigh about 8 grammes so its quite chunky but with the inside polished off its very comfortable to wear.
    Just thought I would share as we had some conversations about the topic a while ago Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twigring1.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	10533 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twigring.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	10534

As you say Sarah, you can't beat nature. A lovely organic ring and a beautiful colour combination of green and gold.
    You could search the whole of Ward's stock and not find another tourmaline like it. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 21-10-2017 at 10:58 PM.

That's a beautiful ring Sarah and the Tourmaline is glorious. Did you cast the twig straight and then round it afterwards? I must have missed the delft clay thread, so I'll go back and have a search for it.

Thanks Dennis and Susie
    The Tourmaline was from an Etsy shop, always a bit of a gamble when you only see photos, its actually teal or deep green depending how the light catches it.
    Yes I cast the twig straight and rounded it afterwards which means I can make different sizes too as the original is about 68mm long so using the ring stretcher I can make it pretty much any size.
    The only downside really is the thickness,which whilst its comfortable to wear does make it expensive in gold.
    You could cast a thinner one if you used the lost wax method.

The original post was "twig effect ring" BTW if you look for it.
    Last edited by enigma; 22-10-2017 at 01:03 PM.

I do like the Tourmaline and the gold sets it off very nicely.

Thank you Pussycat

Im just making another one , trying to decide what stone to use this time.... decisions decisions.....

Lovely ring and the Tourmaline is gorgeous.

Thanks Theresa

I just made another one with a 6mm champagne sapphire this time, I think it would have been better tension set though.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twigring2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	10691