Thread: Removing scratches from silver and finishing

Default Removing scratches from silver and finishing

Hi I am new to silversmithing and find my silver gets very scratched during the making process. What is the best way or technique to remove scratches and Polish pieces? I don't have a polishing wheel, just a Dremel. I would appreciate any advice.

As you work with metal small filings collect on your bench peg and fingers and surrounding surfaces. They then cause the scratches which you are trying to get out.
    So the first thing is to get a reel of masking tape and conscienciously cover areas which might get rubbed. Also wash hands regularly.

For any complex pieces, you can then brush up with a wet and soapy brass brush and three or four grades of radial disk.

Any piece which is copletely flat can be rubbed up with about for grades of Micro Mesh laid flat on your bench, changing the direction after each grade. Dennis.

Thank you Dennis that is most helpful, have ordered some micromesh and radial discs to try . I also need to be more careful as you said there will be metal filings which cause scratches. Great help...thank you Eleanor