Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Completing a hallnote questions, questions, questions!

Default Completing a hallnote questions, questions, questions!

I'm just completing my first hallnote and have a few queries.
    1. If I have stirling silver bangles with fine silver charms do I record them as 925? If so can they be packaged with my pure 925?
    2. I have a few mixed metal pieces. Some are 925 silver with copper, some are 925 silver, 999 and copper, some 925, 999, copper and brass. Do they all need to have separate hallnotes or can I put them on one mixed metal hallnote?
    3. Can several packets be sent in one parcel? If so, will they all be returned in one parcel or will I have yo pay postage for each packet?
    4. I know that I could mark where I would like the pieces to be hallmarked but do I have to do this? Is it risky to leave it to the hallmarker's discretion?
    5. Should I file a couple of beads off a beaded ring to allow space for a hallmark?
    6. If ear wires are detachable should I take them off and not send them or leave the attached?
    7. (Last one, sorry!) Do I need to complete a laser engraving form in order to have a laser not hand punch mark made? If so, how do I decide what size to laser and what if different pieces need different sized lasers?
    Thanks very much but I've searched and searched for answers to these questions.
    By the way, it's for the London Assay Office.
    Thank you so much in advance.

Dear Lucy,
    I can answer some of your questions from personal experience, but the definitive answers are best given by the assay office. They are very friendly and helpful if you phone them.

Different packets clearly marked can be sent in one parcel, but they can hit you with an extra charge if there is too mucch unwrapping to do.

The charms will be included as part of the bangles only if they can't be taken off.

Unless you draw where you want your hall mark with a felt tip, you can be very disappointed in where the oprator chooses to put it.

If the ear wires are not to be soldered later the choice is yours. You can't solder anything on after hallmarking though.

Anything rough or textured needs a smooth area for marking, but presumably you could choose the inside of the ring?

As far as I know, the LAO require you to have a stamp made even if you only ever opt for laser marks. For laser always ask for 3D or deep laser marks. You can specify the height of a laser mark and the length will be in proportion. That said, they often take no notice. Dennis

Thank you so much Dennis. I'll give them a ring as well as you've suggested - rather stupidly I've done loads of research but that's the one obvious thing I didn't think of! I just plan on using tissue paper in a takeaway container as suggested by someone on a thread. I'll get cracking.

Hi Lucy

I'm afraid I can't answer most of your questions but after sending in my first packet recently, DO NOT do like I did and put a sharpie mark on each piece and ask them to mark over the top of it! It took me hours and hours to coax black sharpie out of the laser marks. I tried paint thinner, nail varnish with acetone; nail varnish without acetone, soaking with cotton wool, dabbing with cotton bud, scrubbing with toothbrush. Safe to say I will never make that mistake again!! Instead, put a mark and ask them to hallmark to the right (or left) of it - or put two and ask them to hallmark in between.

I used kitchen roll to wrap the various packets, folding in thirds top to bottom and then thirds side to side, tucking the last part inside the other to secure without the need to tape (hope that makes sense!). I wrote the packet number on the outside of the paper for easy identification. For the 20 or so bangles I sent in, I tied them very loosely with garden twine with a big easy-to-undo knot and put a swing ticket onto one of the bangles with its packet number on it. Happily this way i avoided additional unwrapping charges.

Also, when you get your jewellery back, check each mark carefully. One of my 'deep' laser marks is so shallow that a light rub with my 12000 micro mesh has erased part of the mark so it's going to need to be redone.

Reminds me, I haven't filled in their feedback form yet - better do it now before I forget.

One other point, if sending studs, they want to see the scroll as well!

I am surprised at the problem with sharpie marks, but have always used red or orange. Maybe that burns away more easily when lasered.
    In recent times they have come back pretty clean from the LAO, needing only a light brush witth a blue radial disk, followed by a silver cloth.

As for the depth of mark it is best to ask for 3D deep laser marks to emphasise what you want. Dennis.

Yes, I was surprised too. The sharpie was black but the air was definitely blue! Good to know that it's not a problem with other colours.

I did specify 3d deep laser marks and just the one piece came back shallow - I think even a light brush with a blue radial disk over that one would have taken it off completely!

Thank you all. The package has arrived with the Lao so I will feedback when it is returned to me. I used a felt tip rather than a sharpie in the hope it wouldn't remain after the laser. We'll soon see.

I've just realised that I forgot to feedback. I used tissue paper, this worked well and to avoid them having to sort the rings and drop earrings I fed these onto a straw. I thought this an ingenious idea! They completely disregarded the pen marks and put the laser marks where they liked but all marks ended up in OK locations. I had sent the package before the mention to include the scrolls but they did not complain about this but I will include scrolls next time nonetheless.
    Thank you all for the advice.

I use blue sharpie and it comes out easy with a stainless steel radial brush thingy.
    I also write on the assay form for them to stamp or laser as marked and they have always followed that at Birmingham.