Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something Old-Something New. A Roman Link In Link Bracelet using Argentium Silver.

Default Something Old-Something New. A Roman Link In Link Bracelet using Argentium Silver.

Having caught the link-in-link fever, http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8879 I went on to make a Roman link bracelet. For this the ends of the wire loop are formed around two different mandrels (I used the stems of drill bits)

The larger end was then beaten flat, before further forming and folding. Finally, the links, eighteen in all, were woven into a chain and a matching hook element added.

The ease of fusing was a revelation. Having cut the original jump rings, formed around the stem of a doming punch, I invited a number of colleagues to have a try, using a hand held mini torch. All fused at the first attempt and no one experienced any difficulty.

One did pop on stretching, but was quickly re-joined.

It’s strange to think that this might have been all the rage in ancient Rome, but not with Argentium.

Something old-something new.

Argentium Silver Round Wire 1.0mm
    18 Jump rings formed around an 18.0mm mandrel and stretched
    Ends shaped around the stems of 3.0mm and 5.0 mm twist drills
    Ref: Classical Loop In Loop Chains, by Jean Reist Stark and Josephine Reist Stark. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rcc2  Roman Link In Link Bracelet.jpg   Rcc3 Detail of Catch.jpg   Rcc1 The Tools.jpg  

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Very neat and superbly done, as always, Dennis.

This is lovely Dennis I especially like the really elegant simplicity of the integrated clasp - very clever.

Thank you all three for liking my bracelet and thank you George for your remarks on the clasp. My first teacher Barbara Christie was very fussy about detail, so I sill hear her voice in my head and fret about it. Dennis.

Dennis,

Thanks for showing this. Are the rings soldered when flatter once you connect them. I don't mean solder of link ends, I mean to keep them in their flattened shape and not spread.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Regards,

Peter

No Peter, the large jumprings are only fused once at the beginning. I don't recommend solder, as they would end up lumpy when folded.

After that they are shaped and folded over. The units link into each other without further ado and could in fact be removed again, one at a time, to shorten the bracelet in the event it is too long. Thank you for looking. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 27-09-2017 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    No Peter, the large jumprings are only fused once at the beginning. I don't recommend solder, as they would end up lumpy when folded.

After that they are shaped and folded over. The units link into each other without further ado and could in fact be removed again, one at a time, to shorten the bracelet in the event it is too long. Thank you for looking. Dennis.
    Thanks Dennis. I only asked the question as I was trying to workout how they 1 connected to each other and 2 stayed flat together where each is flattened. Reason, if you look at the 3rd photo at the top where it kinks the link seems to be a bit apart compared to the rest. I really like your work, sharing visually and advice, really helpful to someone new and can't really afford to do a course here in Australia. Using most of my small pension too pay bills and save a little each time too either buy some tools or metals. Need a good workspace first. No garage and we rent a smallish house. Inspection next month like 2 weeks time, after that can start to learn a bit more hands on.

Regards,

Peter

Yes, you are right Peter, the links need a bit more tweaking with round nosed pliers at the end, but they harden quickly, so don't always stay perfectly together.

As for work space, many of us started in a small way, in my case with an A3 cutting board for a work surface, a screw-on bench peg, and a small roasting tin for a soldering station. The secret is to find somewhere to leave it all out and not have to clear up. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Yes, you are right Peter, the links need a bit more tweaking with round nosed pliers at the end, but they harden quickly, so don't always stay perfectly together.

As for work space, many of us started in a small way, in my case with an A3 cutting board for a work surface, a screw-on bench peg, and a small roasting tin for a soldering station. The secret is to find somewhere to leave it all out and not have to clear up. Dennis.
    Thanks Dennis.

Regards,

Peter