Thread: Micromotor

Default Micromotor

Hi I am new to this forum and keen to find out who can help. I am looking for a micromotor for polishing to start of with . I am aware that the hammer handpieces are very expensive.

Walshes has a TM64 micromotor that has 4.41 N.cm torque 90w. Anyone used this? Would this be powerful enough?

The Foredom brushed micromotor with K1020 has a higher torque 6.5 N.cm but no quick release? I can't find torque information on K1070.

Foredom brushless sounds good but is it work the extra £££'s?

This is my first machine other than soldering torches. I can't use a flex shaft as no dedicated area yet. But am getting tired of hand polishing.

Thanks Mickeyel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Dennis.

I did read this link (thread) before but it doesn't really answer my questions as the micromotor from Walshes isn't mentioned and the torque levels of K1070 are not either. Also still unsure what the minimum torque is for polishing and possibly a bit of drilling?

The Cooksons Marathon SMT 1000 is another option I did miss that.

Sadly Woodworks have stopped trading I believe. I hope I am wrong but think Colin passed on?

I didn't think I could tag on to a thread that's 2 years old either? Totally new to forums.

Thanks again

Sorry that this is such an agonising decision, but many micromotors are made in china and there seems to be no rhyme or reason for the pricing.

You can guarantee success by buying an expensive one with the option of adding a hammer handpiece later. This will set you back a thousand pouds or more.

Or you can buy a cheaper one from a known dealer and hope they will accept returns if you don't like it when it arrives.

Lastly like me, you can gamble on a Marathon from China, and even with duty it will only be around a hundred pounds.

It is important to have a quick release handpiece (Marathons do), or you will persevere without changing burrs to avoid the hassle of keys and spanners.

Toque is not a great problem, because it improves by turning up the speed just a little. That said, you tend to use quite low speeds for burrs on metal, to avoid stripping them.

Lastly unless you run you machine all day, brushes last for many years without changing them. Dennis.

Thanks so much Dennis!