Thread: Round rollers ?

Default Round rollers ?

Hello,

I am going to be making a Torque bangle in a few weeks, it got me wondering, are there such things as round rollers ? AKA A adapter to add to the Durnston rolling mill I use...I have no idea of the model number, its a tall square bottom rollers and top flat rollers model

Alternatively, aside from buying wire in pre-made, is there any other way to make a round 9' X 4 mm wire /round length ?

Many thanks

Skie

Durston make rolling mills for round wire, give them a call to see if you can retrofit to your mill, alternately you could use draw plates, although you will need pretty healthy Biceps to draw 9 feet of 4 mm wire, without a draw bench

Thank you...All sorted :-)

Nine foot of 4mm wire? are you thinking of restraining someone?

I'm more confused by flat and square rollers although rollers might be a misnomer, maybe it's late and my brain is tired!

My Durston D2 mill sounds like the model described by Skie. Flat rollers on top, square wire rollers below and half round rollers on the side. Durston offer various shaped or patterned rollers that fit onto the side rollers fitting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17a  Durston D2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	10518

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 15-10-2017 at 10:14 AM.

I think what they are getting at is this new one for round wire: https://www.gesswein.com/p-11183-dur...-mill-100.aspx.
    I would rather use a draw bench. Much more versatile. Dennis.

I have this model: http://www.cousinsuk.com/product/130...nd-grooves-x14

I would have bought it from Cookson but they only do the square wire model. The theory is you roll the wire down and then use the drawplates for the final size. Apparently that is less effort. Never tried either but the idea of being able to make wire for jump rings is what influenced my decision.

Yes, that's a very good model. the problem is only that if you reduce the wire too fast or dont rotate it regularly you get sharp ridges (flash), which are very difficult to get rid of. It also means tha you cant actually do very long wires, because they would be difficult to rotate.

That said with a draw bench you are limited for length too. Dennis.