Thread: fume cabinets and ventilation

Default fume cabinets and ventilation

Hi

Im just after some advice on how anyone deals with fumes in the workshop from soldering and pickling. Ive been doing some patination today which is making me feel quite nauseous and a bit dizzy (hence the thread!). Anyway I'm wanting to make my work area safe and healthy. Im also moving from the shed to a room within my house. So a vent to outside is not really feasible.

Any advice please?

On the patination I couldn't use liver of sulphur except outside or I also felt sick. I tried it in the house more recently for a big copper job and felt really ill so never again.
    I use platinol now and it's much less toxic and apart from the rotten egg smell in rinsing doesn't seem to bother me.
    Safety pickle is much less fumey. Alum powder or one of the safety pickles in a slow cooker with a lid is what I use and I don't have it on all the time.

I use safety pickle and don't have any issues with fumes or smells.
    The room I work in is fairly large with a high ceiling though.
    Im fine with liver of sulphur too but only do small pieces- is it weird that I actually like the smell?

Quote Originally Posted by cpiece View Post
    Hi

Im just after some advice on how anyone deals with fumes in the workshop from soldering and pickling. Ive been doing some patination today which is making me feel quite nauseous and a bit dizzy (hence the thread!). Anyway I'm wanting to make my work area safe and healthy. Im also moving from the shed to a room within my house. So a vent to outside is not really feasible.

Any advice please?
    I work in part of a converted garage that has natural ventilation. But whenever I use my torch I also keep the door slightly ajar using a cabin hook. In my book, fresh flowing air is essential. A solution to the ventilation problem I was once considering was an extraction fan with ducting. If the room you plan to use has no windows or doors to the outside, you can use the ducting to take the air away to another window or door. It's a bit rough and ready but at least you can get working straight away.

Ventilator: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cam2...le-ventilator/
    Ducting: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/pvc-...or-the-cam200/

Here is a low cost, low tech, installation that can be adapted to most situations https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsdUeQ2ckS4