Thread: What I have Learned About Argentium Silver.

Default What I have Learned About Argentium Silver.

Having struggled to fuse jump rings for my link-in-link chain earlier in the year, I finally turned to Argentium Silver with much improved results.

One thing leads to another, so remembering its claims to be hypoallergenic my next mission was to persuade a family member to try some ear studs. This was no easy task, as she once had a severe reaction to normal sterling, with redness and swelling so severe that she routinely wears wooden earrings.

I took every care to keep my materials separate, using Argentium solder and pickling in a fresh solution. The result was no reaction at all even after being worn for a week

I have also been very impressed by its beautiful colour and tarnish resistance. After several weeks of continuous wearing, my recently made bracelet still looked pristine and straight out of the tumbler.
    Availability:

The principle supplier in UK is Cookson, but availability is quite patchy and I have on several occasions been delayed by out of stock items being put on back order.

There is also a need, unfulfilled at present, for tube, a chain selection and findings.
    Some findings and chain can be found on Etsy and earring posts and scrolls at Allied Gold.

Working Properties:
    The solders available are extra hard(if you dare), medium and easy wire and easy paste. There is also a dedicated yellow fluid for flux, but it behaves no better than Auroflux, so is probably unnecessary.

Soldering is not difficult, because being less conductive than normal sterling, the flame can be quickly brought to the joint. However, the solders move a little sluggishly, so the heat is best applied a few seconds longer to make sure it has all run.

When heated to red the metal becomes very fragile, so it will break up under pressure from strongly tensioned clamps, or any attempt to move it, or being quenched. It also needs to be well supported on a flat surface.

Despite a short learning curve and current uncertainty of supplies, I think that anyone making silver pieces professionally, would steal a march on the competition by using Argentium.

Further reading: https://www.ganoksin.com/article/arg...-road-testing/ Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Argentium Ring with Gold Detail.jpg  

Pretty ring Dennis. I agree with you about using Argentium. I love making cuffs and bangles with it, also ear wires. During Open Studios one lady thought I used silver from Argentina! You have to laugh....

Thats lovely Dennis and thank you for sharing your experience.
    I have a friend who has allergy issues so may be something to try for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Having struggled to fuse jump rings for my link-in-link chain earlier in the year, I finally turned to Argentium Silver with much improved results.

One thing leads to another, so remembering its claims to be hypoallergenic my next mission was to persuade a family member to try some ear studs. This was no easy task, as she once had a severe reaction to normal sterling, with redness and swelling so severe that she routinely wears wooden earrings.

I took every care to keep my materials separate, using Argentium solder and pickling in a fresh solution. The result was no reaction at all even after being worn for a week

I have also been very impressed by its beautiful colour and tarnish resistance. After several weeks of continuous wearing, my recently made bracelet still looked pristine and straight out of the tumbler.
    Availability:

The principle supplier in UK is Cookson, but availability is quite patchy and I have on several occasions been delayed by out of stock items being put on back order.

There is also a need, unfulfilled at present, for tube, a chain selection and findings.
    Some findings and chain can be found on Etsy and earring posts and scrolls at Allied Gold.

Working Properties:
    The solders available are extra hard(if you dare), medium and easy wire and easy paste. There is also a dedicated yellow fluid for flux, but it behaves no better than Auroflux, so is probably unnecessary.

Soldering is not difficult, because being less conductive than normal sterling, the flame can be quickly brought to the joint. However, the solders move a little sluggishly, so the heat is best applied a few seconds longer to make sure it has all run.

When heated to red the metal becomes very fragile, so it will break up under pressure from strongly tensioned clamps, or any attempt to move it, or being quenched. It also needs to be well supported on a flat surface.

Despite a short learning curve and current uncertainty of supplies, I think that anyone making silver pieces professionally, would steal a march on the competition by using Argentium.

Further reading: https://www.ganoksin.com/article/arg...-road-testing/ Dennis
    Thanks Dennis,

After reading this you made me happy my recent silver order I am collecting today includes some Argentium. Agree here in Australia it appears to be the same lack of finery as well. I buy from aemetal.com.au if you would care to look you will see similar to what you mentioned in your writings.

Love the ring. Did you join pieces together to make the top part of the ring itself or cut the section out? Looks very danty. My youngest daughter having the slender gene, only can were dainty things nothing large. I'm going to attempt making her a chain necklace from jumprings, order a 100 of 3 sizes to see which one she likes then take it from there. Just a simple chain nothing fancy will be my first try.

Peter.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Regards,

Peter

I agree Dennis, I pretty much use Argentium exclusively I usually start from a ingot and only have some Sterling for the occasion when I am asked to repair an item, unfortunately as you say the availability is atrocious items such as and chain chenier are scarce
    it will never be a player until this is overcome, RioGrande seems to have the best selection.

Thank you all for contributing your experiences. Peter, the ring is made entirely from wire. The collar allows it to be adjusted for size. Dennis.

Thank you all for contributing your experiences. Peter, the ring is made entirely from wire. The collar allows it to be adjusted for size. Dennis.
    Hi Dennis,

Can you post some other shots of the ring from different angles please so I can see what you mean. How did you get the wire thickness at the bottom?

Thanks,

Peter

Regards,

Peter

Sorry Peter, the ring has now flown the nest.
    The shank is made from round wire put through the mill to flatten it.
    It overlaps a little at the front, so that the size can be changed at will.
    The collar is soldered only at the top of one end and the flower at the bottom of the other end.
    Hopefully there is enough tension to keep its size when worn. Dennis.

Sorry Peter, the ring has now flown the nest.
    The shank is made from round wire put through the mill to flatten it.
    It overlaps a little at the front, so that the size can be changed at will.
    The collar is soldered only at the top of one end and the flower at the bottom of the other end.
    Hopefully there is enough tension to keep its size when worn. Dennis.
    Thanks Dennis I think I have the idea. I don't have a rolling mill, quite expensive have been looking for secondhand things like that but not much around over here.

Regards,

Peter