Thread: how to fettle fine jewelry castings

Default how to fettle fine jewelry castings

Fettling very small castings is very problematic.. I lose half of them because they're to small to hold and I end up filing half my fingers away..Any tips..Can I glue them to a board or something? don't know

Diamond coated points even going fast are relatively gentle on fingers, so it looks like putting your flex shaft to use.
    For finishing the grades of radial wheels might do. Dennis.

Maybe try thermoloc depends what your cleaning up but yes you could glue them matchsticks anything aslong as it get the job done, just dont get them to hot polishing the glue will let go and they will could go into a low orbit

I've found thermoloc melts when using the radial discs and I was worried they might get clogged. Some cautiously placed needle nose pliers might help, it'll stop you from burning or hurting your fingers and once you get the hang of holding/turning pliers and a flex shaft at the same time you'll probably be well on your way.

What exactly are you trying to finish?

If your castings have a sprue wire still attached I would use a pin vice to hold them while cleaning them, pin vice sets are quite cheap and can be very useful for many holding jobs. See; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-5914...s=pin+vice+set

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 05-10-2017 at 10:24 AM.