Thread: Swarfing up

Default Swarfing up

Hello,

I have never tried a gypsy setting before today...However :

The proceedure I used was -

1st go 1mm + 2mm pilot holes...3mm old Bud bur then I stopped

2nd attempt 1+2mm pilots...3mm old Ball burr then I stopped

3rd try 1+2mm pilots...old 3mm Stone setting burr then I stopped

The reason I stopped each time was because I didn't have enough swarf to grain/burnish over....I had some but it was a bare minimal ,if any in places.

I didn't want to cut a back cut and bead a ball, the videos I saw on youtube showed enough grain to burnish over but this didn't happen for me...I was wondering if using a new stone setting burr would give a better result ? The tools I use are from an old workshop.

In another video, the jeweller cut around 1/2mm deeper down than needed, then used a scriber to grain swarf from the inside edges but she was using a Brass ring, so I am wondering if the Brass is softer/easier to swarf up ?

In a nutshell...Which would be the best drill bit to use to swarf extra swarf ? And which material bits are better...Steel, titanium or or diamond covered steel bits (I brought a cheap 50 piece diamind covered set from ebay...but they seemed to have blunted rather quickly , and I do keep my tools in great condition)

Vurrently, I am still only working with Silver 925

Thank you
    Last edited by Skieferins; 03-10-2017 at 08:02 PM.

After making the pilot hole, continue with a stone setting burr, until the table of the stone when inserted is just about level with the surface of the metal.

People vary in what they do, raising fine metal edges, even with the beak of snipe nosed pliers. Others cut an undercut and snap the stone in.

You need to do none of that, but just understand that stones vary slightly from their nominal size and you must find one that fits closely. Copper sheet and CZs are cheap to experiment with this.

If you insert the stone and it doesn't fall out when turned upside down, you are nearly there.

Finally run round with the polished neck of a burr with the head broken off, in a universal handle with enough pressure and you will set the stone. Dennis.

Thank you this...I'll hopefully give it a try next week. Thanks again, you were very clear with your explanation