Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on stamping pendant blanks

Default Advice on stamping pendant blanks

Hi all,

I am new to jewellery making and teaching myself from Youtube etc so very glad I found this forum.

I want to have a custom stamp/punch made to stamp onto the Sterling Silver Oval Tag 8x6mm Stamping Blanks that I found on Cooksongold website.

The stamp design is just an outline of a bunny.

I have struggled to find manufacturers of custom stamps in the UK. I have managed to find one and they quoted £140-£160 for a punch about 7mm. Does this price sound reasonable? I can't find any other suppliers to compare it to.

Also if i was to hand stamp, would I just need a steel block and hammer, or is there anything else I would need?

Please could you advise what type of hammer I would need.

Thanks in advance.

Rachel

UK prices for custom stamps are, IMO, very high, and the quality isn't always brilliant.

You might want to consider importing one from the US - https://www.infinitystamps.com/

Their blanks are cheap and very good quality as well if you were to opt for their tagmate system, which is a very easy system to use.

As for the hammer, I always use a brass head for stamping. The weight depends on what you're happy with, but I find a 1lb is more than enough to do the job without ending up exhausted from using something heavier.

7mm seems a big big to me but I suppose it depends on the design

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    UK prices for custom stamps are, IMO, very high, and the quality isn't always brilliant.

You might want to consider importing one from the US -
    Their blanks are cheap and very good quality as well if you were to opt for their tagmate system, which is a very easy system to use.

As for the hammer, I always use a brass head for stamping. The weight depends on what you're happy with, but I find a 1lb is more than enough to do the job without ending up exhausted from using something heavier.
    Hi George, thanks so much for your very helpful advice. I did come across Infinity stamps during my search, but thought that it may work out too expensive with the import duty etc. They do seem to be quite a bit cheaper though and if the quality is better, it might be worth it. I will obtain a quote. I will also look into the tagmate system. Thanks, Rachel

Hi Josef,

Yes you are right. I meant to write 3-4mm!

Hi George, thanks so much for your very helpful advice. I did come across Infinity stamps during my search, but thought that it may work out too expensive with the import duty etc. They do seem to be quite a bit cheaper though and if the quality is better, it might be worth it. I will obtain a quote. I will also look into the tagmate system. Thanks, Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel K View Post
    Hi all,

I am new to jewellery making and teaching myself from Youtube etc so very glad I found this forum.

I want to have a custom stamp/punch made to stamp onto the Sterling Silver Oval Tag 8x6mm Stamping Blanks that I found on Cooksongold website.

The stamp design is just an outline of a bunny.

I have struggled to find manufacturers of custom stamps in the UK. I have managed to find one and they quoted £140-£160 for a punch about 7mm. Does this price sound reasonable? I can't find any other suppliers to compare it to.

Also if i was to hand stamp, would I just need a steel block and hammer, or is there anything else I would need?

Please could you advise what type of hammer I would need.

Thanks in advance.

Rachel
    Beaducatuion.com have lots of stamps, I know I have seen a bunny or 2 on their. Lots of helpful free videos as well. Only thing the postage is a little high depending on what you are buying. It's a good site. Also riogrande.com and ottofrei.com and firemoutaingems.com are places to look too. Maybe kernowcraft.com as well which is local to UK. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your advice. I've had a quick look and the Kernowcraft website looks very useful. I'll have a proper look into the other ones too.

Cheers

Hi George,

The infinity stamps seems to be the best. I am trying to work out how much import duties I will have to pay. I was wondering if you have a rough guide based on what you have paid in the past? I am thinking about starting with just the straight hand stamp to begin with (and also some of their sterling silver tags).

Thanks
    Rachel

Here is information about import duty. No doubt George can be more specific.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ho...CqWn8wfs8qjYDg

However items do slip through with no duty at all, presumably when the person responsible is on their tea break.
    The unexpected killer is a handling charge by the carrier, which can be another £12-£16, before they release the goods. Dennis.