Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on stamping pendant blanks

Hi Rachel,

I have recently got a quote from this guy, who is very quick to respond and has good reviews on his store

https://www.etsy.com/ie/shop/TheSupp...f=pr_shop_more

for a custom stamp its around 130 dollars but he does have a lot of beautiful (well-priced) stamps in his store that might suit your design idea and you can maybe work around the need to get a custom stamp made initially.

Michelle
    x

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Here is information about import duty. No doubt George can be more specific.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ho...CqWn8wfs8qjYDg

However items do slip through with no duty at all, presumably when the person responsible is on their tea break.
    The unexpected killer is a handling charge by the carrier, which can be another £12-£16, before they release the goods. Dennis.
    At least we have an import limit before GST (VAT equivalent) of $1,000 when it kicks in at 10%. £120 limit is appalling. I wonder if that will change when you leave the EU?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Regards,

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by choccie View Post
    Hi Rachel,

I have recently got a quote from this guy, who is very quick to respond and has good reviews on his store

https://www.etsy.com/ie/shop/TheSupp...f=pr_shop_more

for a custom stamp its around 130 dollars but he does have a lot of beautiful (well-priced) stamps in his store that might suit your design idea and you can maybe work around the need to get a custom stamp made initially.

Michelle
    x
    Make sure you check the postage. I looked at one $10 stamp the postage is $22. Very high.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Regards,

Peter

Hi Peter, yes the problem is the cost of the shipping/duty and vat. Infinity stamps quoted $96/£73.50 for a hand stamp (which is much cheaper than I have been quoted in the UK and quicker turn around), but the shipping will be roughly $39/£30 and the import duty roughly £24.. so in the end it doesn't work out much cheaper at all.

Hi Michelle, thanks for the link. His stamps look amazing, it's just a shame he's US based. I think I've come to the conclusion that it's probably not worth importing due to the additional costs involved. x

Thanks Dennis for the advice. I obtained the correct commodity code for the stamp from HMRC and it looks like the import duty will be roughly £24 or so - just for the hand stamp. I hadn't thought about the handling charge.. thanks for the reminder.

I buy quite a lot via Etsy from the US and its really unusual for UK customs to make a charge, although obviously you do need to factor it in as it does happen sometimes.
    The thing Ive noticed recently though is that many Etsy sellers have started charging really high postage- 3 and 4 times what they charged a year ago.

That's strange.. I always get stung by a customs charge when I order anything from the US! I guess I'll have to just see what happens!