Thread: Another newbie.

Default Another newbie.

Good morning, all.

Though a scientist by training, I am fascinated by Anglo-Saxon history. About a year ago, inspired by the Anglo-Saxon and Viking exhibits in the Ashmolean Museum, I decided that I would write a novel about an Anglo-Saxon gold and silversmith. Having plunged in and written three chapters, I realised that I knew nothing about the subject, and that I would have to try to learn something of the craft if the book were to proceed any further.

I acquired a few basic tools and items of equipment, and after a few hours of cursing, I managed to cast a silver signet ring. I then had a try at vitreous enamelling, since this appears to have been quite popular in mediaeval times.

The book has made no further progress, but I now have some idea how things were made, having succeeded in making several rings, enamelled escutcheons, and crude replicas of the Alfred Jewel and the Minster Lovell Jewel. Well, I think they are crude, but friends say they are 'astonishing'.

I should like to learn more about the techniques employed by mediaeval jewellers, so if anybody can point me at suitable sources, I would be most grateful.

The Alfred replica - vitreous enamel on etched copper, bronze and copper-gilt. The 'crystal' is resin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ajcopyleft.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	10494

The Minster Lovell replica - bronze clay and vitreous on copper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mlrep.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	10495

Wow, just wow! As a couple of your early pieces in this game, far more than astonishing. Bold and victorious I'd say, I was probably still at the tube set stacking ring stage after a year! You've hit a steep hill and charged up it. Alfred would have wanted you leading one of his warbands as much as for making his jewels.

You might research forged penannular brooches. Most of what you need is on line, particularly U Tube. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by weodmonath View Post
    I should like to learn more about the techniques employed by mediaeval jewellers, so if anybody can point me at suitable sources, I would be most grateful.
    While strictly he's outside the period, Benvenuto Cellini is often cited as a source for more traditional techniques. I'm trying to see if I can find a PDF of his Treatises on Goldsmithing on Archive.org (preferably in English...) but I haven't spotted one yet. Amazon sell it.

ETA - found it, needed to refne my search: https://archive.org/details/b2488697x
    Last edited by ps_bond; 28-09-2017 at 11:03 AM.

Thanks, all. I am encouraged. I'll carry on...

Peter Bond - many thanks for the pointer to Cellini's Treatises. Just the sort of reference material I am looking for.