Thread: advice needed on project - drill/barrel polisher

Default advice needed on project - drill/barrel polisher

Hi everyone,

I find this site amazing for advice & I am a beginner so go easy on me:-) I am working on a pair of (0.8mm silver/brass sheet) half circle earrings with the ear post soldered on the straight side & looking for advice on how to finish them. I am aware there are lots of options and I am a bit overwhelmed as to what is the best option. I have gone down the grits by hand to buff out the scratches and achieve a kind of mirror finish (which I don't love as it shows up too much) & happy to a certain extent but it really takes too much time so I would like to use my drill to speed the process up.

I would like to get a barrel polisher or attachments for my drill & but would using a barrel polisher ,after sanding out scratches:

1. work harden the piece (in particular the ear posts)

2. achieve a matt finish?

3.Would it be less complicated to get a frosting attachment for my drill and do it that way?

4. For sanding what attachments do you recommend for the drill?

I know there are lots of options ! But I am so confused about what will be the most straightforward in reality. I know this is a simple enough design but I feel I am a bit stuck with how to finish the piece, so buffing out scratches, work hardening the ear posts & achieving a matt finish are proving to be very problematic.

I appreciate any advice!

Thanks,

Michelle

I note, that you already asked most of this in early August, Michelle, so I am puzzled as to why you are asking the same question again.

Most of our recent conversations about tumblers can be found here: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sea...archid=1396714

To harden the posts, grasp them in several places with smooth pliers and give a quarter turn. Parallel pliers with a brass lining are least likely to leave marks and are cheapest on line. The posts will become stiff and you will have tested out your soldering.

Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 27-09-2017 at 07:01 PM.