Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something Old-Something New. A Roman Link In Link Bracelet using Argentium Silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Having caught the link-in-link fever, http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8879 I went on to make a Roman link bracelet. For this the ends of the wire loop are formed around two different mandrels (I used the stems of drill bits)

The larger end was then beaten flat, before further forming and folding. Finally, the links, eighteen in all, were woven into a chain and a matching hook element added.

The ease of fusing was a revelation. Having cut the original jump rings, formed around the stem of a doming punch, I invited a number of colleagues to have a try, using a hand held mini torch. All fused at the first attempt and no one experienced any difficulty.

One did pop on stretching, but was quickly re-joined.

It’s strange to think that this might have been all the rage in ancient Rome, but not with Argentium.

Something old-something new.

Argentium Silver Round Wire 1.0mm
    18 Jump rings formed around an 18.0mm mandrel and stretched
    Ends shaped around the stems of 3.0mm and 5.0 mm twist drills
    Ref: Classical Loop In Loop Chains, by Jean Reist Stark and Josephine Reist Stark. Dennis.
    Dennis,

What length of 1mm wire and what length chain did it make please. Trying to look at making a necklace for my daughter about 51cm in length. I really like the look of this. She bought a braclet that has a snitch in the centre as the main piece and she asked me to make it into a necklace for her. I think this design would possible suit it really well and sit well too. Would look though at making smaller links as she has a long slender neck. If you could advise would appreciate it. Thanks. Peter

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Regards,

Peter

Hi Peter, for the bracelet I used about 1m 20cm of wire and it ended up 18 cm long.

Necklaces are about 41 cm long, but the links would be scaled down proportionately and you could also omit the hammering if you wished.

Here is a link to my necklace http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...t=Link+in+Link.

It is best to make a few units in copper first ad judge the resulting length from that. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hi Peter, for the bracelet I used about 1m 20cm of wire and it ended up 18 cm long.

Necklaces are about 41 cm long, but the links would be scaled down proportionately and you could also omit the hammering if you wished.

Here is a link to my necklace http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...t=Link+in+Link.

It is best to make a few units in copper first ad judge the resulting length from that. Dennis
    Thanks Dennis that helps a lot. The copper idea is a good one too, something I had been planning to do first of course as a trial. Your help and advice is really appreciated.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Regards,

Peter