Thread: Foredom V Dremel V Milbro

Default Foredom V Dremel V Milbro

Hello everyone, I'm a jewellery student albeit a very middle aged one It's just a hobby but as I progress I'm finding I need more tools (need or want, Im not so sure) I have been toying for some months on a pendant drill....

This will be a one time purchase for me. I have saved my birthday money but Im not really sure which tool would be best suited for my needs. I don't want to purchase something that costs a fortune with all bells and whistles when I'm just a hobby jeweller but on the other hand I don't want to get something now and it doesn't last me six months.

I love stone setting, and Im currently working on flush setting, other students can practice at home but as I haven't got any kit I'm not getting any practice in. So Im after something that I can use for setting ... drilling holes, bit of polishing, tube and flush setting. I think I've done well in not rushing out and buying the first thing I see but I'm still confused at what's on offer.

I've looked at the Dremel 4000, also the Foredom Jewellers kit SR , that comes with a No20 quick release hand piece which I think would be good for me. I have read the milbro are very good but I think it's a little out of my league - not just the price, but would a hobbyist really need something as good as those?

So, what do you use, what to you use it for, pros and cons.....

Dremel is basically a toy and won't last long, go for the Foredom you will most likely never need to replace it, buy a h.30 hand piece as well

Scarlet I'm the same thinking as you. Thought about the Dremel, but ordered a Flexshaft SR which should last me for what I want until I die, I'm 63. Personally that is exactly what I would suggest, i am getting by th e sounds of it the same one you are looking at. Might get the H30 handset which has a bigger chuck to takes wider shank sizes, not quick release but not too cumbersome, just like a drill. Hope to have it next week bring it in from the USA to Australia the 220-Volt model.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Regards,

Peter

Don't even consider the D word. The Foredom will do everything you need and probably see you out. Dennis.

Dremel dont tend to last long but more importantly for you they really are pretty useless for stone setting as they don't have the torque to go slow.
    Foredom are excellent, you may also want to consider the hammer handpiece.

Thank you all very much for the feed back - I'm off for a little online spending