Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attaching wax pieces together!

Default Attaching wax pieces together!

I have been experimenting with wax casting the past year and have gotten pretty comfortable with different methods of creating pieces from wax and really love it. But one thing still gives me major problems and it's a rather important one - it's sticking one wax bit to another wax bit!
    I currently use a basic flame burner and heat my wax tools with it. I have tried dripping hot wax and sticking pieces together that way, or also heating one area with a hot tool without adding additional wax. But somehow I don't quite have it right and have ruined many lovely pieces trying to get them to hold.

What am I doing wrong?? It's so frustrating.

Hi Sandra,
    I've been following you adventures in wax carving with interest. If you already have a spirit lamp, or a small gas operated burner, then the other accessory I can recommend is a Lecron carver, which can be heated to pick up a small amount of wax.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dental-Wax...-/141679811820

It can then be re-heated to transfer melted wax, where you want to join parts, or just used to soften the surfaces to join them.
    If the wax is too hard, a little of your soft red wax can be used for this instead. Half an hour of practice will solve your problem, I'm sure. Dennis.

Thank you Dennis, I may have a similar tool already but I think I will get this one too. It would definitely help to practice on joining rubbish pieces together instead of on something I've spent hours creating! It's especially the smaller finer bits I am struggling with. I am currently working on at frog that will be attached to a leaf - I have his body attached no problem. But I had his back legs finished with long delicate toes and melted them trying to attach them .
    Last edited by Sandra; 17-09-2017 at 09:26 PM.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-SOLDE...wAAOSwSlBYxviQ

I use something like this. At the lowest setting (depending on the wax) just touch the end so it melts a bit then touch where you want to attach it and hold them together

I do have a soldering iron with a thermostat - bought it for some new project idea and haven't touched it since. I didn't know I could use it for wax? But I guess why not?

I spent many a frustrating hour using a battery operated wax pen (which ran out of batteries constantly!) and ended up buying one of these: http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-999-BAHH

The temperature is variable and it has a really fine tip so easily joins pieces together.

Thank you Lauren! I'm glad to know it's not just me! I have an electric soldering station with a thermostat - I can change the tip on the soldering iron to something finer. I wonder if it would work the same as the electric wax carver you've sent a link to? I wonder if there's any real difference??
    Now I'm really curious - unfortunately I work first thing in the morning so won't be able to experiment 'till Tuesday

This is what I have: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    It wasn't purchased with wax carving in mind though. I've also ordered the tool Dennis mentioned. I'll get a handle on this one way or another!

That looks fine you can also wrap fuse wire round the tip to give a smaller 'point'

Were do you obtain fuse wire these days?