Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australian suppliers

Default Australian suppliers

Hi
    I am moving to Australia from the UK, and I was wondering what suppliers for tools and metals people use? (all two of you!) Also any other tips about smithing in australia (forums etc)
    Cheers Matt

I have a good friend in Aus who does silversmithing and pearls. She gets most of her stock from Hong Kong. Where in Aus? Maybe I can put you in touch?
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I'll be going to Brisbane.

There are a couple of suppliers of tools in Australia one Ajs charges ridiculous prices and the other Gemcuts is good but mainly sells low end tools
    most of us buy from overseas,RioGrande etc. As for forums you are already here

Thanks Bob, do you have to pay import duty etc or is there a cost below which its exempt?

Import duty is not usually a issue although under new laws GST (same as your VAT) will be applied to online purchases unless you are exempt i.e. you have a ABN (Australian Business Number) in which case there are various methods of paying GST.

Since we can't DM on this forum I have directed my friend to it to join in
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Hi Matt. I'm in Canberra in Australia - it's the capital city, but it is way south of Brisbane so it's much colder! I use A&E Metals in Sydney for my wirework and jumprings for a while now. Postage costs from the USA to Australia are huge and it can take up to 4 weeks

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Thanks DebTcan
    I studied in Canberra around 2000, nice place! (originally from NZ). Postage is always going to be a nightmare- I sometimes wonder if setting up a buyers club with a group monthly order could alleviate that somewhat, but the organisation/logistics of it would be tricky, and there mightn't be the scale required to make it worthwhile. Also, interested to see if Amazon could bring down the cost of tools in Oz when they get started.

Anyway, my tools are packed and ready to ship for the big day coming up!

Cheers Matt

Amazon in Australia don't hold your breath they they have been coming for over two years they don't even have a location yet