Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver Threepenny Bits - can they go into pickle?

Default Silver Threepenny Bits - can they go into pickle?

Hi all

I'm hoping someone can help me!

A friend has asked me to use 12 old silver threepenny pieces. I plan to drill each one and create a charm bracelemy question is - if I want to add a soldered jump ring to each coin can I put it in pickle afterwards? I am unsure of the metals within it.

Yes, there should be no issue pickling - the coin composition varies according to when it was minted.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threepence_(British_coin)

They are dated from 1914-1933

Personally I would set them in a bezel

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Personally I would set them in a bezel
    If I set them in a bezel I would still, at some point need to pickle them though I would think ...

I have found this information and still wonder if I can put them in pickle:

The reign of King George V (1910–1936) features several changes to the threepence denomination. As with all British silver coins, the silver content was reduced from sterling (0.925) silver to 50% silver, 40% copper, 10% nickel in 1920, 50% silver, 50% copper in 1922, and 50% silver, 40% copper, 5% nickel, 5% zinc in 1927

The ones my friend has range from 1914 to 1933

Not sure I can think of a reason why you'd need to pickle them if bezel set - do all the soldering, then the bezel setting of the coins, then final polish & they don't need to go back in. I admit I'd prefer not to drill old coins (or solder them), but that's just me.
    The downside to bezel setting is that you'll have to make up a bunch of 12-sided bezels - but it's all good skills practice Alternatively, a) you may be able to find a stockist of 3D bezel settings or b) just use a round one.
    (Nah, I'm wrong - the older ones were round, it's the later ones I remember. Just)
    Last edited by ps_bond; 15-09-2017 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Not sure I can think of a reason why you'd need to pickle them if bezel set - do all the soldering, then the bezel setting of the coins, then final polish & they don't need to go back in. I admit I'd prefer not to drill old coins (or solder them), but that's just me.
    The downside to bezel setting is that you'll have to make up a bunch of 12-sided bezels - but it's all good skills practice Alternatively, a) you may be able to find a stockist of 3D bezel settings or b) just use a round one.
    (Nah, I'm wrong - the older ones were round, it's the later ones I remember. Just)
    Silver sixpences were always round, I have loads of them of all ages from the days of putting them in a dumpling for luck. You are thinking of threepennies which were mostly nickel brass

Most of my above post is rubbish as silver threepennies are all those coins my gran used to put in her clootie dumplings for good luck and I have dozens of them. The bit about the 12 sided ones is correct though

No one's mentioned the black birds.