Thread: For a newbie what's better to purchase?

Default For a newbie what's better to purchase?

I have most of my jewellery tools, and a small butane torch. Starting off with copper wire and sheet first, then moving on to 925 SS. Basically to try my hand at a few rings and maybe bracelets. Then after that maybe some small to medium cabachons for rings, bracelets and pendants. Most video's show everyone using Smith/Artourch oxygen/propane micro hand torches and Foredom Flexshafts.

So at first what would be best to get?

I had thought about a (excuse this word) Dremel, but have read a lot of negative things about them.

On a pension small one of $150 a fortnight that is Aussie Dollar equivalent to about 69p or 80 cents US.

So would be a major investment.

As the wire and sheeting isn't going to be too large in gauge size, i.e. the opposite to small gauge 10g, think that's the right way. Large the number smaller the size and vice-versa. I think a butane torch would work in the short term?

What are people's opinions please or too fast too soon? I don't have any things other than files and sandpaper to remove and polish to a certain point it's the next part of polishing, where a flexshaft is used, after watching a few hours of video's over several weeks, that appears to be preferable.

Interested in your own experiences please.

Also equipment costs a lot more here than in the UK & USA, only killer is mostly postage even waiting 2-5 weeks for delivery.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Regards,

Peter

I have both and they are both my most important and most used tools.
    I started with a Dremel, they are ok for polishing although mine didn't last that long but it was under fairly heavy use.
    The biggest problem with the Dremel is if you start stone setting or burring as they don't have the torque and burn out the burrs very quickly due to needing to run them at a faster speed.
    Again, I started with a handheld torch but quite quickly wanted to do more than it was capable of so bought a Sievert.
    The Sievert was not bad really and will cope with quite big items.
    I now have a Smiths and absolutely love it, it has massive scope in that you can work with a tiny flame for small items- great for making claws/earrings etc which would be tricky with a handheld or Sievert, but also has the power to do pretty big items too.
    I think though if cost is an issue the Sievert would be ok.

If you need to bide your time financially, then for a larger torch, a self igniting, hand held plumbers one will do you for a relatively low cost. I have had nothing else for more than twenty yeas, but modified with a brass strip, to reduce the air intake at will, for a softer flame.
    For very large pieces I use two, one in each hand, or even one and my mini-torch.

For the motor you can buy a Chinese Marathon micro motor for under £100 UK. It will last for years and will be miles better than a Dremel, or a cheap flex shaft. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hand Held MiniTorch new.jpg   Hand Held Torch Modified.jpg   Marathon Micromotor.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    I have both and they are both my most important and most used tools.
    I started with a Dremel, they are ok for polishing although mine didn't last that long but it was under fairly heavy use.
    The biggest problem with the Dremel is if you start stone setting or burring as they don't have the torque and burn out the burrs very quickly due to needing to run them at a faster speed.
    Again, I started with a handheld torch but quite quickly wanted to do more than it was capable of so bought a Sievert.
    The Sievert was not bad really and will cope with quite big items.
    I now have a Smiths and absolutely love it, it has massive scope in that you can work with a tiny flame for small items- great for making claws/earrings etc which would be tricky with a handheld or Sievert, but also has the power to do pretty big items too.
    I think though if cost is an issue the Sievert would be ok.
    Thanks Enigma for that advice.

Regards,

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    If you need to bide your time financially, then for a larger torch, a self igniting, hand held plumbers one will do you for a relatively low cost. I have had nothing else for more than twenty yeas, but modified with a brass strip, to reduce the air intake at will, for a softer flame.
    For very large pieces I use two, one in each hand, or even one and my mini-torch.

For the motor you can buy a Chinese Marathon micro motor for under £100 UK. It will last for years and will be miles better than a Dremel, or a cheap flex shaft. Dennis.
    Thanks Dennis, I looked at the micro motor, different prices and postage. Have to remember we use 220-Volt here in Aus. Most of the ones I found have wrong plugs and suspicious about Voltages.

Regards,

Peter