Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final wash of 925 sterling silver pieces?

Question Final wash of 925 sterling silver pieces?

Hi,
    Can anyone offer some advice on the final wash of 925 sterling silver pieces? I don’t have an ultrasonic cleaner and currently just do it by hand with a soft toothbrush and ordinary dishwashing liquid. Is this OK? I’m not concerned about fine scratches as the pieces don’t have a mirror polish finish.

Thanks in advance.

Washing up liquid is fine. When I did my training there weren't ultrasonics and we used the hardest industrial washing liquid and a sponge or toothbrush

I agree that washing up liquid is fine, but I would suggest that you use a larger bristle brush rather than a toothbrush, it make washing out easier, I use this type; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...ush&channel=uk

James

I mostly use a toothbrush, washing up liquid and hot water. I'll use my ultrasonic on occasions where there are some stubborn bits of polishing compound lurking in details, but generally I hate the thing, as it leaves a strange white bloom on mirror finished pieces.

I use an old electric toothbrush mostly, works fine for me
    Poor old Les

One other little tip is to have a jam jar of Polyclens, if you hang the polished item in the liquid for a while, the Polyclens will dissolve and loosen any polish residue that may be hidden in tight corners or patterns. Then it's easier to wash out with a brush and soap afterwards.
    This tip was taught to me by a professional polisher some 30 years ago.

James

I keep meaning to try Polyclens on setters wax - meths is very slow to dissolve the stuff, acetone works quickly but I'm not that keen to have acetone knocking around on the bench.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Polyclens isn't much better really. MEK, and Acetone were the fastest, but know what you mean. Additionally, Neither are good for the lungs or hands.

Default Kellz

Quote Originally Posted by handmadeblanks View Post
    Hi,
    Can anyone offer some advice on the final wash of 925 sterling silver pieces? I don’t have an ultrasonic cleaner and currently just do it by hand with a soft toothbrush and ordinary dishwashing liquid. Is this OK? I’m not concerned about fine scratches as the pieces don’t have a mirror polish finish.

Thanks in advance.
    I use luxi polishing compounds and after each one I wash the item in hot soapy water and wipe with a tissue. I then do a final polish with Vienna Lime. It is like talc and you can sprinkle it and rub with a soft cloth or dip your polishing mop in the powder. It seems to absorb any residue and gives a mirror finish.
    (It isn't actually lime I think it's some sort of calcium.

Vienna lime is calcium carbonate - limestone or chalk. Quicklime & slaked lime are calcium oxide and calcium hydroxide. Agricultural lime is mostly limestone.