Thread: Butane or propane?! I'm a newbie!!

Default Butane or propane?! I'm a newbie!!

Hello all!

I'm a complete novice at jewellery making, only intending on trying to make a couple of pieces as Christmas prezzies!

I have ordered a Silver Clay starter kit with the intention of making a couple of fingerprint charms. I didn't want to fork out on a butane torch, however my partner has a propane blow torch, will this be ok to use with the silver metal clay or does it specifically need to be butane?!

Thank you!!

Hayley x

It doesn't matter what the fuel is, what matters is that your clay is brought up to temperature and held for the right number minutes.

I worked with clay many years ago and then moved on, as one does. This was the set up, using a little cave made from bricks. At the time I used two torches, but probably one would have done.

The problem with hand held diy torches is that they can be very fiece, so direct it at the surroundings, and not straight at the piece, or the surface will melt and run. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s Improvised chamber for conserving heat.sh.jpg   s My Soldering Station Being Used For PMC.jpg  

Hiya!

Thanks so much for your response, I'm so excited to give it a go. There are instructions in the kit but how long would you suggest I heat it for? I've done lots of research online but everywhere gives different timings! It's all very confusing!

Thank you x

I've made a lot of things with silver clay in the past and used a dremel versatip to fire it. I found it a perfect tool to fire the clay as its easy to control. I always fire it a few minutes longer than suggested as have found so many pieces have broken from under-firing. I've got other blow torches but as Dennis has said have found them a bit too fierce for this job resulting in a some melting.

At the time I fired for 15 minutes to be sure it was done. It was new and there was little information. Now just google different phrases and information comes up:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie....0.EFXmEKgRH9M

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ho...Be6LtgeZvqLYBg

The reason for different timengs is related to the weight of material and the heat of the torch. So as with most things, you have to experiment and waste some. Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis; 30-11-2017 at 01:58 AM.