Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cufflinks

Default Cufflinks

Hello! My son is now 7.5 months and I've finally made it back to the bench, small humans are hard work!

I'm making some cufflinks for OH and I'm a bit baffled by all the different style findings. What is the difference and do you recommend any particular style? I assume the ones that aren't assembled are better for soldering hand made faces on do you need a special hammer to finish these?

Thanks in and hello again!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Hello Kathryn and welcome back.

The unassembled ones are best.

If you have done some riveting, you just need a steel block to rest one end on and a small hammer to spread the other end. If your hammer is too broad, you can also lightly tap a hollow ended nail punch from the ironmongers, which will give a domed finish.

If you are unfamiliar with riveting it is best to practice with short lengths of silver wire passed through a close fitting hole in copper or brass.

Alternatively you can just use chain made from about five jump rings, or a bar made from strip, or a curved piece of round wire. The downside of making your own findings is that you will need a second button.

The distance between buttons is about 20mm.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=im...M82dFs4LiyKrM:.Dennis

My favourites are the whale tail style, or I make simple ones using 2.5mm wire in between the two pieces, you can be really creative with what you put on either side then.

Are there are standard sizes for cufflink button holes?

Not really Kathryn and fabric stretches a bit too, but a bar or torpedo can be between 16 and 20 mm long. Also note the direction of the buttonhole slots is important. They run downwards from the wrist when you forearm is horizontal. Dennis.

This simple get me back into the flow of making job is much more complicated than I expected!

For me as a newbie to this, posting pics of people suggestions would be of great help. Unless posting images in the forum is against forum rules of course. But I don't understand any of the suggestions although I have cufflinks that I used to wear everyday when working in government positions here in Australia.
    Regards,

Peter

I've been googling the suggestions and made a Pinterest board of examples I've found.
    http://pin.it/3VG_T2l

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_AUS View Post
    For me as a newbie to this, posting pics of people suggestions would be of great help. Unless posting images in the forum is against forum rules of course. But I don't understand any of the suggestions although I have cufflinks that I used to wear everyday when working in government positions here in Australia.
    If you go back to my post of 29-08-17 above, Peter, I have provided a link with examples. Dennis.

Apologies Dennis, missed that link, thought it was the signature link to your albums which I had already looked at.
    Regards,

Peter