Thread: Wax/casting questions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Wax/casting questions

Hello all

I want to make some 'wax seal' type jewellery with some nice intricate wax seal stamps that I have and am wondering what the best type of wax is to achieve this.

Ideally I want to create the wax seal as you would normally if sealing a letter (dripping melted wax, pressing the seal into it, and waiting for it to cool) and then just send the seal to be cast. Would casters be able to work with actual sealing wax do you think? This would be simplest, I like the very clean lines you get from these waxes as they're really hard when they set.

If not I've also thought about whether something like mould a wax would work but I don't know how soft it goes - ideally I want to be able to use something that can be melted to liquid forming minimal bubbles, then hardens back again. Could you use the blue carving wax maybe?

Thoughts very welcome!

Zoe

eta: the melting point of normal sealing wax is about 95-115C, maybe I should use the green Ferris wax based on this? I don't care about carving the wax once set, just want clean impressions.
    Last edited by belette; 01-09-2017 at 01:44 PM.