Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wax/casting questions

Default Wax/casting questions

Hello all

I want to make some 'wax seal' type jewellery with some nice intricate wax seal stamps that I have and am wondering what the best type of wax is to achieve this.

Ideally I want to create the wax seal as you would normally if sealing a letter (dripping melted wax, pressing the seal into it, and waiting for it to cool) and then just send the seal to be cast. Would casters be able to work with actual sealing wax do you think? This would be simplest, I like the very clean lines you get from these waxes as they're really hard when they set.

If not I've also thought about whether something like mould a wax would work but I don't know how soft it goes - ideally I want to be able to use something that can be melted to liquid forming minimal bubbles, then hardens back again. Could you use the blue carving wax maybe?

Thoughts very welcome!

Zoe

eta: the melting point of normal sealing wax is about 95-115C, maybe I should use the green Ferris wax based on this? I don't care about carving the wax once set, just want clean impressions.
    Last edited by belette; 01-09-2017 at 01:44 PM.

If you send it in as sealing wax, they can take an impression and do just one, or multiples for you.

You could also do it yourself from that by the Delft Clay process.

You might not do as well in wax, but a one off would be less work for casters and therefore cheaper. Dennis.

I'd ask your casters if they have any thoughts on whether they think it will burn out successfully. Compositions of sealing wax seem to vary somewhat; if it's a shellac and filler mix then the filler will probably cause problems. Of course, you could make your own if Ferris green doesn't take an impression well - http://codesmiths.com/shed/workshop/...sealingwax.htm

Ferris makes a red wax called 'Mold-a-Wax', I think I bought mine from Cooksons. If you work with it and warm it up with your hands it becomes fairly soft and I've been able to use it in molds and it seems to hold the detail fairly well. I think it would probably work with a wax seal. Silver metal clay works perfectly with wax seals actually, but you'd need a kiln for that.

I've not seen that one before - sounds a much more sensible wax to use than my suggestions. I might get some.

My logo is a wax seal and I've made a lot of them with other initials for people using metal clay that is just torch fired. Really simple and easy. Obviously depends if you want to make lots of the same one.
    Here is a rubbish phone snap of the first one I ever made, it's been on my jacket for 4 years and taken a hammering (it goes in the washing machine often), and a whopper I made (admittedly from MDF not silver) for my studio door, but it was fun! :-)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21361042_10155422137475469_1074765246_n.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	10461
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14657285_1099638653418221_4559052726396629875_n.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	10460
    ETA: subsequently, my outer edges were more 'goopy' and more like a messy seal edge, (Like the giant one) but easy to do with a couple of clay tools
    Last edited by LydiaNiz; 03-09-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Thanks all for your thoughts. I will experiment both with metal clay and wax - my concern on the metal clay is that it is quite expensive anyway relative to casting grain and I could see these having some weight to them (the seals I am using are about an inch wide).

Next cookies order will contain green ferris and mould a wax as well as some more metal clay!

I like your seals Lydia the 'goopy' effect is what I'm going for, I don't want them neat (apart from in the detail)

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well.

Just a quick and maybe a stupid question. A friend of mine has been taken into hospital and I'd like to get his tattoo made into a necklace for him (see attached)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Viking Tattoo Runes.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	13081 and I ideally would like this cast into silver for him with a simple loop for the chain, but I'm unsure how to start, would wax or CAD be an easier way to get this cast?

ANY advice is greatly appreciated
    Thank you

Adam

CAD would do it, but I think I've seen that commercially for far less than custom work would cost.