Thread: Stone setting tools

Default Stone setting tools

Hello,

I watched a video on stone setting today and the guy used a stone setting burr....He "Clicked" it in place after he had drilled a pilot and a teardrop diamond burr....I have tried this but I never got a "Click", it just slotted in place. I also have an old A&F diamond gauge set at my disposal....If I used the gauge tools, would this give me the desired "Click" of the stone in place ? Either way, what is the difference between a diamond setting gauge and a setting burr ?

Many thanks

To achieve the "click" everything has to be pretty well spot on, and the "click" is usually more subtle the people think, I can also assure you that although being ideal many stones are set without the "click".
    The difference between diamond setting gauge and a setting burr is the gauge is a measurement device and the burr is a cutting device

You will need to do a few and get a feel for it to get to that point I think. I wouldn't worry to much about getting them to click in at first just work on getting a nice tight fit and close tolerances.

Thank you both. I asked someone today, he has tons of experiance and he told me that the click is usually only noticeable in Gold, currently I am limited on using Gold, I'm still learning with Silver. As for the gauge question...Thank you again for clearing this up :-)

Setting tools are standardised, but stones only approximate to the size stated. Hence a key tool will be some electronic callipers. They will help tremendously in what you are trying to do and are available on line for £15 or less.