Thread: Greetings from Aberdeenshire

Smile Greetings from Aberdeenshire

Morning folks
    Just wanted to pop my head in to say hi.
    Spent a past a life working in museum and galleries, got hitched, had twin girls who currently attend Nursery, so now my long-held aspirations of jewellery design and silversmithing are underway.

In jewellery making I've mostly dabbled in little projects all my life, majoritively consisting of beadwork. However, my ambition is to eventually endeavour to work in enamelling. In order to get started I recently attended a 3 day basics course, my final project being the bangle you see in my avatar.
    I loved it, it got the creative juices in my brain working again, but what appeals to me most is the problem solving aspect of jewellery making and design. Or perhaps not problem solving but "How can I translate my design or idea into reality?" and in doing so solve or tackle the issues that arise along the way. I guess that is where, like everything else in life, knowledge and experience comes into it.

A valuable lesson learned on the course was having the right tools for the right job and in this respect I am currently setting up a little workshop at home, with a view to starting a business once the girls go to school. So at present, my development is very intermittent but I am thoroughly enjoying every moment I can.

I do not have any specific questions at present as I can see there is such a wealth of valuable information already posted in a gamut of threads, thus, I'll lurk for a while, catch up and be back to post if I do.

Thanks and regards,
    malph.

Hi Malph, welcome from me in Fife.
    Someone is always here to answer questions if we can. It's a bit quiet just now as most of the members are in the south so still on holiday!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Hi Malph, welcome from me in Fife.
    Someone is always here to answer questions if we can. It's a bit quiet just now as most of the members are in the south so still on holiday!
    Thanks Caroline. Thought it was a bit quiet, but wasn't sure if that was just the "norm" lol.
    Small world... it was another Caroline in Fife that was the tutor for my short course. Caroline Finlay in Dunfermline.

Cheers.

What is this "holiday" of which you speak?

According to the news reports you peeps are standing in queues at airports, languishing in the hottest temperatures forever, having bank holidays. While we Scots are freezing and back to school 2 weeks ago and doing the usual Scottish things like playing bagpipes, chasing haggis oh and opening new bridges

Oh, that. It's warm, granted; I keep misting up my microscope, which is unhelpful. Queuing? Not if I can avoid it. Bank Holiday? Erm... Just another work day. But the alternative to self-employment is worse

Saw the news on Queensferry; that's quota on the bridges now? Otherwise there'll have to be a Fourth Road Bridge...

If you catch any haggi, LMK - we can only get MacSweens "Sassenach blend" (completely underseasoned) down here and they're only offering it in plastic tubes now. As for the pies - none of the ones I've tried qualify.

Think it's too wet a year for haggis, nothing worse than a soggy haggis although the grass is really lush for them. I didn't know there was a Sassenach blend, I can't remember the last time we had one and yes they mainly seem to be in tubes but try Simon Howie's or Donald Russell websites, they may do the real thing. Haven't had a pie in decades, contrary to media reports many of us do have a healthy diet

I just checked the weather over there I hope you don't think 20 deg is hot

Haggis in plastic tubes my Grandmother will be turning in her grave!

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I just checked the weather over there I hope you don't think 20 deg is hot

Haggis in plastic tubes my Grandmother will be turning in her grave!
    20 degrees is positively balmy, any hotter and I'd have to go for a lie down! It does seem sweeter in September though so we'll take anything we get this summer.
    TBH I haven't seen these haggi in plastic tubes just stomach shaped plastic wrapping, maybe it is for the sassenach market