Thread: Hallmarking - is there a difference in price between the offices?

Default Hallmarking - is there a difference in price between the offices?

Hi everyone

Has anyone got any info on which hallmarking office is cheaper? I know they have the price lists but as I have no experience with it I am finding it difficult to figure out which charges apply and they seem to use slightly different wording.

I will pay whatever I need to, but just wondering if the prices between offices are comparable or is it worth going with a particular one?

I have about 25 items to send off for hallmarking, probably by laser.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Roz
    I have only ever used my "local" office which is Sheffield - so I can't compare different offices from personal experience BUT I did get a bit of a shock the first time I used them due to the number of added charges - not forgetting the VAT.

Watch out for the basic charges plus extra charges for laser marking, deep laser marks (which I prefer), extra charge for sponser mark, date letter and lion symbol. (And if you want very large spread marks sometimes used as a feature, this can be costly - but worth it if it is a crucial part of the design/focal point.)

Having said that the service I have had from them from Day 1 has been faultless - my latest batch was turned around same day tho' I suspect that was due to the holiday lull!

If you're not sure and can't tell from the office's price list, I would decide up front what you want to include on your hallmark and give the production manager a call.

Hope this helps

E

Well you have to register with an office so I don't think you can go between.
    I've only been with Edinburgh and their pricing seems quite different LAO and I haven't looked at any others, I can just go by some complaints that have been made in the past. I don't find Edinburgh too bad for cost but then I deliver and pick up even though it is an 80mile round trip

Caroline's post reminded me of another point to check - if you can't collect and deliver you need to ask about their method of returning stuff - Sheffield send it back to me via courier at a cost of around £12 (my parcels are never huge so costs could be higher) - add to this my cost of sending stuff in via a tracked service - this does add up to a considerable added expense.

E

Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    Caroline's post reminded me of another point to check - if you can't collect and deliver you need to ask about their method of returning stuff - Sheffield send it back to me via courier at a cost of around £12 (my parcels are never huge so costs could be higher) - add to this my cost of sending stuff in via a tracked service - this does add up to a considerable added expense.

E
    Yes I think the courier cost is about that, postage cheaper but will take longer unless next day delivery. It probably isn't much cheaper for us to drop off and collect but we don't mind a wee drive to Edinburgh and I like to physically collect as I've usually left it a bit late timewise:/