Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shell pendants - opinion on bails?

Default Shell pendants - opinion on bails?

Just had a batch back from casting and I need to add some bails to them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shells.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	10434

My thinking was to use off-the-shelf bails, but I can't see quite what I want. I'd quite like them to be articulated, so I was intending to add a jump ring flat in line with the shell, threaded through a suitable chain (the largest shells are about 17g each, so the chain really can't be terribly delicate). However... Do people agree it should be articulated? It feels like it adds more to the piece, but that may just be me.

Any recommendations on bails? They need to be reasonably substantial; thin & flimsy won't go with these (and they always end up feeling cheap). Or do I go the whole hog and just make up a master from scratch for my use and get it cast as multi-sprues?

Well, I'm sure you will get lots of conflicting answers on this Peter and I hope that what I say won't cause offence.

I have a deep hatred of conventional bails, which I find detract from a pendant and are just a nod to convention.

Personally I would hide whatever suspension mechanism you decide on, inside, near the top and let the natural beauty of the shells speak for itself. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I have a deep hatred of conventional bails, which I find detract from a pendant and are just a nod to convention.

Personally I would hide whatever suspension mechanism you decide on, inside, near the top and let the natural beauty of the shells speak for itself. Dennis.
    Understood on both counts - I've got about 50 of these to do and they're purely commercial work, hence the interest in OTS solutions.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I cut tubes at angles so that they form a bail shape. Then I file and pinch them or make a v shape with pliers. Easy to weld, solder or laser onto a piece.

I get what Dennis is saying, but sometimes, a bail is the compromise when your customers don't actually consider it an issue.
    Last edited by Wallace; 22-08-2017 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    I cut tubes at angles so that they form a bale shape. Then I file and pinch them or make a v shape with pliers. Easy to weld, solder or laser onto a piece.

I get what Dennis is saying, but sometimes, a bale is the compromise when your customers don't actually consider it an issue.
    So no articulation, just fixed?

I would go with fixed as simple as possible and let the shell speak for itself.
    I use tube bails more than anything these days because I can shape to suit or in larger pieces make them part of the design. I'm not sure customers are interested in that sort of detail, if they are interested in the piece it the piece as a whole. If they are going to nitpick about the bail then they find all sorts of other faults and aren't going to buy anyway:/

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I would go with fixed as simple as possible and let the shell speak for itself.
    I use tube bails more than anything these days because I can shape to suit or in larger pieces make them part of the design. I'm not sure customers are interested in that sort of detail, if they are interested in the piece it the piece as a whole. If they are going to nitpick about the bail then they find all sorts of other faults and aren't going to buy anyway:/
    You may have hit the nail on the head there - it's me worrying about it being "right" (entirely subjective) and in keeping with the rest and no other bugger will care!

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    So no articulation, just fixed?
    Fixed, or articulated. A little piercing, then welding back together, and tidy up with a radial wheel - takes about two - three minutes

I think its pretty heavy and silvers quite soft so I would go for a fixed wide bail less points of contact to wear, something like the renders maybe. I personally would of cast with the shell but Im lazy !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	10435Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	10436Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	10437
    Last edited by josef1; 22-08-2017 at 03:29 PM. Reason: added

I always have bail conundrums - I've cast my own very simple ones but keep meaning to do something more fancy.

I think there is a lot of nice detail in the shells, so I like Josef's solution - simple and easy to production line.