Thread: Ironmongers

Default Ironmongers

This is aimed mainly for Dennis but all are welcome to comment, in a couple of recent post's you have mentioned "ironmongers" and various items they selling, ironmongers in Australia are long gone they basically only sold metal goods and some associated stuff eg. solder for roofing etc. would I be correct in assuming that ironmongers in the UK are more like a hardware store rather than just metal items?

There's few genuine ironmongers remaining over here too; most have been supplanted by the large DIY sheds. Most are, as you've guessed, hardware stores (even if they retain the ironmongery in name).

Well, we are well supplied with ironmongers here in central London. The best near me, called Leyland, sell a huge range of tools, hardware, plumbing supplies, paints and wood.

There are also at least three different shops within range. By contrast our DIY superstores are further out, not very busy and rather sad. Dennis.

Thanks for that , I believe you have Bunnings over there, don't know where or if it is called Bunnings. they are owned by Westfarmers of Western Australia they almost have a monopoly over here forcing many smaller concerns to combine so as to compete

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Thanks for that , I believe you have Bunnings over there, don't know where or if it is called Bunnings. they are owned by Westfarmers of Western Australia they almost have a monopoly over here forcing many smaller concerns to combine so as to compete
    Bunnings has taken over the UK DIY chain called Homebase.homebase-to-disappear-from-uk-as-australian-brand-bunnings-takes-over