Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oval earrings hooks

Default Oval earrings hooks

Hi anyone got any tips on making these types of oval ear hooks?

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if this will help you, but I start by forming a round first, then using the very tips of my round nose pliers I pinch the wire firmly where the top bend is going to be and just use my fingers to push either side down into shape.
    I'd hammer them to work harden them after soldering the loop closed.
    Sally

Thanks Sally will give it a go

If you use hard drawn wire, say 0.9mm, and bend it up there will be no need to solder the loop.

The loop is then opened and closed by twisting sideways, to retain its round shape. Dennis.

Thanks...

Hi, I'm new here and I found your post. I'm interesting did you try at least to do this hooks ? Which wire did you use, if so ? I think that 0,9wire could be to hard to wear ...?

Hi Marz .8 or 9 at the thickest are the wire dimension normally used for making earwires especially if they are statement wires such as in the picture. Anything finer will be too flimsy and prone to bending out of shape

Thank you Caroline, I went through the Forum a bit ( I should do that first, before start asking ...) and exactly .8 .9 are the best . Lot's of to learn... !

I like 0.8 for short earrings and 0.9 for longer drops. I did try 1.00 but that actually hurt my ears. I think the mass produced findings are about 0.6 but they look rubbish next to the handmade ones. Have been experimenting with argentium wire for hooks this year and really pleased so far - you can harden them in a domestic oven so they aren't left with any dents.

So that's definitely the best sizes for hook making . I don't want my jewelry to look too "economical" ,actually for my first hooks I used 0.8 wire, but my first impression was, that this wire was too tick... Now I'm at peace . About the argentium wire - that's so interesting Snorkmaiden -I have to find out more about processing this wire, in description in Cooksongold shop, this kind of silver is " stronger, brighter, whiter and more versatile than traditional Sterling Silver" so it's worth a try .
    Last edited by Marz; 19-08-2017 at 09:37 PM.