Thread: Soldering

Default Soldering

Hello again. I have been given a commission for a ring, well 4 actually soldered at the back with stones c.zs at the front. How do you solder eight bezel without them melting. Used pots of thermo.block, have now set 7 stones...the last stones to set and the bezel has come off. Can't solder it as c.z dissolve inpickle. Help.

I'm sorry that you have had this trouble Pat, but mishaps strike us all.

If I understand it correctly, you have seven bezels set on the same ring, but the eighth came off during setting?

You can get someone with a welder, or laser equipment to put the eighth bezel back on, or as I would do, give up and start again.
    Maybe the shank can be re-used?

Dennis.

As it's a friend I thought I would ask her what she wants to do. My opinion is
    " take it or leave it". I have been doing it for weeks, fed up now. The four rings are soldered together at the back,, there is a gap between the rings in the front, the bezels are set over the gap, so not easy to solder without the others coming off. Not going to do it again, nightmare!!!!! She saw one that had been cast, but it was not silver just plate, but she liked the design.

You can solder really close if you dab a bit of tipped on the earlier solder joints, Pat.
    Bit late now of course.
    You may be able to solder with a CZ in place though they are fairly heat resistant.

You can solder really close if you dab a bit of tippex on the earlier solder joints, Pat.
    Bit late now of course.
    You may be able to solder with a CZ in place though they are fairly heat resistant.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Hello again. I have been given a commission for a ring, well 4 actually soldered at the back with stones c.zs at the front. How do you solder eight bezel without them melting. Used pots of thermo.block, have now set 7 stones...the last stones to set and the bezel has come off. Can't solder it as c.z dissolve inpickle. Help.
    Hi, I don't have anywhere near your experience but I am curious, did you start with the highest melting point solder first and progress down to the lowest one last? I only ask because you didn't mention it. Thanks.

That's what people do, but there is no need to change down too soon, because solder once melted requires more heat to melt it a second time.

You can also work out strategies whereby you make several components with hard solder and then finally join them all with an easier solder.

Many of us avoid medium silver solder as it is rather reluctant to flow. There are also other fluxes than borax. Dennis.

I have put thermogel on it and tried to re-solder but the stones have gone cloudy, after putting in tumbler, so may have to be binned anyway. Found out that pickle dissolves c.z's. Still can't get enthusiastic about making stuff, but I suppose I am still not over hubby's sudden death. It's nearly ten months ago now, so hopefully I will feel better soon. Don't whinge woman, life goes on, so get on with it.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I did not know that about safety pickle! I use Alum, and it doesn't disolve them. Alum is a great pickle.

Go slowly, do what you can. 10 months is so little time. It is going to take a while, just let yourself cope with it a you can. Don't beat yourself up, or pressure yourself to get on, he still is significant and important to you.

Hello Wallace, nice to hear from you. Trying hard to keep my spirits up. Don't like living on my own, I suppose you get used to it in time. The c.z's have gone cloudy in the tumbler. It could be condensation, but can't sell it as it is.