Thread: Dressing hammers with out a grinder

Default Dressing hammers with out a grinder

Hi all.

I'd appreciate some advice on dressing my hammers; I've used the search function within the forum but as yet haven't found any discussions tucked away in the search results that talk about how to do it without using a sander or grinder. Neither of which I have. I figure using a file and then some wet and dry might work? But if anyone could point me towards or offer some advice I'd be very grateful;

Deb

Ah well if you are talking if metal hammers Deb, then yes take the major defects off with a large medium file and slightly rounding any sharp edges.
    Then continue by rubbing the face on abrasive papers laid flat on the bench, gradually changing to finer grits.
    If you perform figures of eight, with a rocking motion, the face will be reduced more evenly and with a slight curve. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, yes I guess I should have specified I was talking about metal hammers.
    Deb

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I probably wouldn't dress hammers with a bench grinder; they're fairly unsubtle tools. I might reshape a hammer using on though - but only if I wasn't able to use my belt grinder.
    Dennis' recommendation is what I would go for - although if you have a polishing motor, a final finish with a sisal wheel & Steelcut Abramax is a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I probably wouldn't dress hammers with a bench grinder; they're fairly unsubtle tools. I might reshape a hammer using on though - but only if I wasn't able to use my belt grinder.
    Dennis' recommendation is what I would go for - although if you have a polishing motor, a final finish with a sisal wheel & Steelcut Abramax is a nice touch.
    Sadly I've nothing more powerful than a Dremel type motorised hand tool, so it's hand power all the way here.

I've dressed many hammers, and I've never used anything more hi-tec than a set of micromesh cloths, which does the job beautifully. Wet and dry will work, but the flexibility of micromesh makes it much easier to use for this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I've dressed many hammers, and I've never used anything more hi-tec than a set of micromesh cloths, which does the job beautifully. Wet and dry will work, but the flexibility of micromesh makes it much easier to use for this sort of thing.
    Thanks Mizgeorge, I'll bear that in mind - and that's another tick in the "must get some micromesh" box.