Hi,

I have a couple of pieces I am working on as a beginner (self-taught) and one of my projects is making earrings from sheet metal. I am using brass sheet metal (0.7mm) and cutting various sizes from a disc cutter, sawing the circle in half and soldering on ear posts. From my first few attempts I can see I have improved upon but I really need advice on how to firstly accurately measure up my two halves because after sawing I see that I lose some of the metal and the two halves don't match up. Also buffing out scratches and finishing - I have a dremel tool that I haven't really made full use of so are there attachments that anyone would recommend? I use emery paper, grades 400,800 & 1200 but I have a feeling I need to work down a bit more grades than that? I think I am there is too much of a gap between the grades that I am using? I really enjoy working on these earrings & each time I see an improvement, however I know there is probably a much faster, equally as effective way to achieve a clean finish with the combined use of the dremel (for softening the edges) and maybe then by hand for the scratches/buffing? I do this entriely by hand and after about 5 pairs now, I realise that using the dremel would make more sense?

I am learning so please excuse my lack there of:-)

Thanks,

Michelle