Thread: Varnishing bronze

Default Varnishing bronze

Hello all,

What product would you recommend to lacquer bronze pieces/metal clay in general?

I want to put a dark patina on areas of a piece that are raised, and the darkwill rub off; I am hoping there is some sort of glaze that can be added to protect those parts?

Thanks in advance!

Everything will eventually rub off areas of high friction, but the most hard wearing will be a spray can of polyurethane lacquer, or cellulose lacquer.
    It is toxic and will go everywhere, so is best done out of doors on a windless day. Read the instructions and use 2 light coats from a distance.

That said, the modern patina solutions such as Platinol and Noirit are quite hard wearing in their own right and slight wear gives a pleasant antique look. They don't cover solder well though. Dennis.

Thank you, Dennis!
    Would this be a good choice? http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebas...--400ml-581400

I'm with Dennis I'd go with patination. Any varnish will get patchy with wear and will look really unsightly but that's personal choice

Thanks Caroline,

I've got the patina I want with liver of sulphur, but it keeps rubbing off. Do the 2 products mentioned by Dennis give a more permanent finish and which is better?

I see noirit is sold by the litre; that's quite a lot for the tiny job I want to do!

Oooo and - will they work on bronze? It doesn't say that on the website...

The patina shouldn't really rub off to that extent. You maybe need to build layers of a more diluted solution to bring it to the colour and buff up with a soft cloth. I prefer platinol, slightly less smelly but again not sure how any of these work on bronze. I can't comment on the varnished as I have never used them.

The bronze is another matter, not sure if anyone on here uses bronze much:/