Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From illustration to CAD to Casting...

Default From illustration to CAD to Casting...

Hello everyone. I have started to become more custom based and have been considering moving towards possibly sketching out designs to have them created into a CAD design and then cast.

As I am self taught and have ZERO in the way of knowledge about what a CAD designer would need from me, perhaps someone who does CAD work could tell me how I can properly sketch out designs and send them off to be made. I have a degree in illustration so drawing would not be a problem.

Thanks!

Personally, I'd like a 3 axis view, ideally with dimensions, and a perspective view. Notes where appropriate too, but most of the info in the drawing.
    Why not put up an illustration (a simple one) and we can go through it?

Oh excellent idea, I will do that.

I agree with peter, the more information the better stone sizes etc finger size the more information you can give the closer the model will be to what you want.

I still haven't got round to sketching out a proper design yet but just wanted to see if anyone could tell me what kind of prices I am looking at for a CAD design. Do CAD designers charge by the hour or by the piece?

Its one of those questions. You really need to find someone that is good before you worry about price lots of people can CAD but not everyone can CAD workable jewellery models. If you do your sketch I can cad the model and post the process on here (as long as you dont mind) and then give you an idea of cost. I only really CAD for myself so its not a sales pitch lol just thought it would be interesting

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    ...not everyone can CAD workable jewellery models.
    Hah. And then some. IMO, if someone has zero bench skills, they don't have the basic language to be able to design e.g. a ring - is it too heavy, is it going to be comfortable, can it be cast, can it be assembled (should it be split into 2 or more pieces?), can it be polished, can it be set? If you've got a basic grounding in those skills the chances of creating models that work for all aspects of the process are far, far higher.

Hi would something as simple as this work? Sorry it's not to scale.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6211.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	10602Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6212.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	10603

The info you gave was ok if the rings turned out like you wanted it !!! It took me 45 mins including the renders, The model shown is the render model I would also make a production model which is almost the same, but with longer claws and slightly bigger to allow for shrinkage. So probs about an hour all in all.
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by josef1; 16-11-2017 at 08:26 PM.