Thread: From illustration to CAD to Casting...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi would something as simple as this work? Sorry it's not to scale.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6211.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	10602Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6212.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	10603

The info you gave was ok if the rings turned out like you wanted it !!! It took me 45 mins including the renders, The model shown is the render model I would also make a production model which is almost the same, but with longer claws and slightly bigger to allow for shrinkage. So probs about an hour all in all.
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by josef1; 16-11-2017 at 08:26 PM.

WOW I can't believe you did that in an hour, that's amazing! And so I suppose if I made it a little bit more complicated it may add a half hour or so to the working time. Thank you for showing me such a good visualisation!

In CAD is it easy to create organic textures, such as a reticulated texture? I create some of my bands by fusing gold and silver and it creates a kind of organic shape like thisClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5436.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	10604

Its difficult to recreate organic stuff you may be better off using a sculpting program, which is not really my forte, Also I suppose you could not really cast them if they were mixed metals? Its just another tool I suppose, Its great at somethings but not so good at others, There is also more clean up associated with CAD and printed models you get grow lines that are a pain to remove in tricky spots. I will have a go at the organic rings if I get a chance just to see. You can apply textures to the renders. But on the cad you struggle to keep them if you want a polished surface
    Last edited by josef1; 16-11-2017 at 09:26 PM.

Interesting. Thank you so much for the great insight, I'm really glad I got to see what it can do and in such a short amount of time!