Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Theme Competition August 2017 - Animals

Lauren, the gorilla brooch is relatively new, an old jeweller friend asked me to make the brooch for his wife who is interested in silver back gorillas, he wanted a brooch that was not a casting so I made this brooch by shaping and carving sheet silver then chased on the fur patterns. My friend wanted to finish the brooch himself so he set stones in the eyes and also had the piece coloured and rhodium plated. I did ask him for a photo of the finished piece but have yet to receive one.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    lovely pieces to see - hope there are more to come xx

Mine is not totally exotic, but not my normal Tesla-kitty on this occasion.

Saw one of these in real life and was inspired. The take off and being up in the air was amazing. Not that mine can do anything like that!

Made from silver. The engraving took me over two and a half hours. 3-d face made from doming and then filing into the shape. I did consider doing some Chasing, but really can't get the hang of it, so back to what I can get the hang of. Sweat soldering was done to connect the head and wings.

it is approx. 84mm wide and 31mm high.

Attachment 10403
    Lovely! Gorgeous wings. I was going to enter my owl, but am a bit ashamed of it now.

Hi everyone,

We are loving all of the animal themed entries that have been submitted so far - keep them coming!

Best of luck

Jen

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Lauren, the gorilla brooch is relatively new, an old jeweller friend asked me to make the brooch for his wife who is interested in silver back gorillas, he wanted a brooch that was not a casting so I made this brooch by shaping and carving sheet silver then chased on the fur patterns. My friend wanted to finish the brooch himself so he set stones in the eyes and also had the piece coloured and rhodium plated. I did ask him for a photo of the finished piece but have yet to receive one.

James
    I thought I hadn't seen it before - it's beautifully made, as always!

I've actually made something recently that I can enter this month, hurrah!

I was asked by my brother in law if I could make a necklace for his girlfriend's 21st birthday. Sure, I said, no problem, expecting him to ask for the usual kind of birthday thing - initial necklace, name necklace, diamond solitaire etc. Can you make me an elephant hanging from an umbrella, he said! As he gave me a good amount of advance notice and I've been trying to practice my wax carving as much as possible, with some trepidation I said I'd give it a go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wax-carving-elephant-work-in-progress-1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	10427 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wax-carving-elephant-work-in-progress-3.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	10428 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jewellery-wax-carving-elephant-work-in-progress.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	10429

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sterling-silver-flying-elephant-umbrella-necklace.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	10430 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sterling-silver-dangling-elephant-necklace.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	10431

There's a little (and terrible!) video of it on my Instagram here https://www.instagram.com/laurengracejewellery/ but I can't get it to upload here.

I bet your brother in laws girlfriend was thrilled. Cute and quirky!

Smile

Marvellous ShinyLauren, I can't stop smiling

Hi everyone,

There is only just over a week left to go in our themed competition for August - don't miss your chance to win a £100 shopping spree!

Good luck!

Jen

Default Theme Competition August 2017 - Animals

Some great entries as usual, It's been a while since I last posted here but I just finished these sheep necklaces and thought they fit this months brief.

Those sheep are gorgeous! How did you get the wire so wooly and even?