Thread: Greetings and copper conundrums...

Question Greetings and copper conundrums...

Hello everyone! :-)

My name is Kat and I look forward to browsing the font of knowledge here!
    I've recently taken the plunge into this wonderful world and I have what is probably a "newbie" question, but I can't find an answer elsewhere; so please forgive me...

Should Prometheus Copper Clay stay shiny for at least a short time before tarnishing? My pieces are going dark within minutes of polishing, eventually going a dark matt brown after a few hours. I polished the hell out of one piece and that now has these odd patches of dark grey on it... I can't get my head around it!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :-)

Yes, although copper varies a little, there is a strong tendency to darken before your very eyes. Your only remedy is to accept it for what it is, or lacquer it immediately, using polyurethane varnish, or clear cellulose as used for cars. it will need at least two thin coats.

I did also try a dedicated product Everbrite, but had no success at all.

There is no need to keep polishing because a silver dip solution will restore it temporarily.

The best method for me is to use an aerosol and follow the instructions. It gets everywhere, so you will need to do it outdoors and wear a mask.

All the same, any areas of wear will rub through rapidly. Dennis.

Thank you, Dennis!

That's extremely helpful X

I've tried renaissance wax with limited success. Sometimes I think it makes copper look dirty.

The US version of Protectaclear worked well for me when I used to dip my copper pieces; I did two or more dips. The problem with this is that you have to "babysit" the piece you've dipped to get rid of the drips. I found the UK version, rubbish. US version probably contains some horrible chemicals banned in the EU haha.

That makes sense of the conflicting reports. Did you import it from Rio Grande? Dennis.

I can't remember now...I think I actually bought it from etsy.

I've just had my kitchen re-done and the plumber made such a lovely job of the copper piping that couldn't be chased into the walls, I polished it all up with fine steel wool and micromesh, then lacquered it using Rustins metal lacquer. Two weeks on and it still looks like shiny copper, so fingers crossed...