Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting thin wax slices

Default Cutting thin wax slices

Is there a good (and quick) way of cutting thin (roughly 2mm) wax slices from a block for carving?

It takes me an age to saw through the block of wax, then my slice is so wonky I have to spend another age filing it all down so it's a flat slice.

I'll be using these quite a lot for some upcoming projects so was wondering whether it's worth investing in one of these: http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-999-3339 which looks like it could be used as a mini bandsaw, or is there something smaller/cheaper out there that might work?

Japanese pull saw? Something like a dozuki?

A scroll saw might help, but there is always an irritating delay when the blade breaks and has to be replaced

Actually I have found that saw blades intended for wood are pretty good for wax and also acrylic, Lauren:

http://www.originalmarquetry.co.uk/p...tails_1300.htm

Last edited by Dennis; 27-07-2017 at 05:39 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	76675.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	10383

I cut wax slices regularly for my mill, I use a saw similar to the one in the picture a cheap B&Q version has served me well. But the easiest way is to get a square silicon cake mould, melt the wax slowly in a small pan (electric is safer I use a Argos hot plate)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6265454_R_Z001A.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	10384

then pour it into the cake mould to the required thickness then leave it to set works great

I suppose it depends what you are making but I find it best for me to carve the wax as it is then file the back to the required thickness afterwards.
    That way Im less likely to accidentally break off a chunk as I carve.
    I do buy mine in various thickness slices though

Depends how large your 2mm slices are as to whether this will work but how about a cheese wire or a heated blade on a kitchen knife depending on the softness of the wax. (or heat the cheese wire)

Just tried it - yes, a dozuki saw works very well for taking thin slices off a block of wax. Quick, accurate and doesn't require much cleanup.

If you really need a scrollsaw, then I'd advise saving for a Hegner (or the Axminster clones in a pinch). I'm not much of a fan of Dremel's tools beyond the motor.

Hi Lauren, would these wax sheets be any good?

http://j-schmalz.de/goldsmiths-tools...49b48944b76889

Les.
    Poor old Les

Thanks so much for the replies everyone. Apologies for the delay in posting, had a ridiculous week at work!

Les, those wax sheets look great for thinner pieces, but not thick enough for my current project.

I think I'm going to try the melting/silicon mould method and the dozuki saw and see which is quicker. Peter, what size dozuki do you think would be best? There appears to be a bewildering array of them available!

Just coming back to this to say I ended up getting one of these http://www.ottofrei.com/Zona-35-550-Fine-Razor-Saw which I think is similar to the dozuki saw and it's much easier to cut slices and bits of ring tube with this than a regular saw frame and wax blades. My slices are now straight, hurrah!