Thread: Mobius Ring

Default Mobius Ring

Hi there,

I'm looking for a little advice. A friend asked me to make her a mobius band for her wedding. It looks fairly straight forward to twist the metal with piers then make the band as normal, however wondered if anyone had any tips? I'm going to experiment at the weekend. The ones I've seen have really nice edges and a tight, neat twist.

Thanks in advance!

Jo

It will need to be annealed. Clamp all but the part to be twisted, one end in a vice and the other with parallel pliers. To avoid marking the clamped metal wrap both ends in several layers of paper or masking tape.

Save £££ by practising with strip cut from copper sheet (preferably in the right thickness) first. You might need two or three tries before you suss it out.

The sizing will be deceptive as a ring stick will give only an approximation. Your final copper version will serve to verify this.
    Sometimes it is difficult to get recipients to concentrate on the sizing, but the one thing you dont want is to get it back for alteration in a few weeks time. So she might be persuaded to wear the test ring for a few days. Dennis

https://www.etsy.com/uk/market/mobius_strip
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COPPER-She...-/302204943332
    Last edited by Dennis; 21-07-2017 at 07:47 PM.

Perfect - thanks Dennis. Will have a practice today and let you know how I go!

I must have missed this facet of maths, I had to google what a möbius was, and then make one out of paper I was so intrigued!

Just out of curiosity, how would you true it round? I assume you couldn't just pop it on a steel triblet because that would damage the inside edge of the twist?

Hope you get on well Jojow

Faith

You've hit the nail on the head so to speak Faith.
    Ideally you would use a soft mallet on a wooden mandrel.
    You can only stretch it to size by tapping around the smooth area.
    The ring stick will tell you it's too small, so you have to try it on one of your own knuckles which you have worked out to be the right size. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, I wondered if wood might be the answer

Yeah I guess the size will be deceptive given the shape. I'm tempted to have a go myself at some point!

Faith